Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fifth disease - can he go to school?

(8 Posts)
sphil Sun 20-Jul-08 18:27:55

Ds1 came home from sports day last Tuesday with a blotchy rash on his chest and arms and red cheeks. He'd had suncream on. I gave him antihistamine and the rash had faded by the next morning, so I assumed it was a heat rash. Since then the rash has come back when ever he's been exposed to the heat - though the red cheeks have only come back very slightly. He has a slightly runny nose and red eyes - again this comes and goes - but is otherwise fine. The rash isn't itchy at all. Googling today has made me think it could be Fifths/Slapped Cheek.

Can I send him to school tomorrow?
Should we go to drs?
Thanks

LIZS Sun 20-Jul-08 18:31:47

Consult gp first I think, can't recall how long it is contagious for. It can be very nasty for pg women to catch and pass onto their baby. ds caught it as a baby and was quite unwell for about 10 days.

tiggerlovestobounce Sun 20-Jul-08 18:35:11

They can go to school. The rash is a sign of the immune response, and means that they are no longer infectious. They are infectious before the rash appears (If it is Fifth that he has).

KristinaM Sun 20-Jul-08 18:35:28

check out NHS direct. IIRC by teh time he has teh rash he is no longer infectious

SquiffyHock Sun 20-Jul-08 18:37:13

They can go to school - he would have been contagious about 2 weeks ago, do you remember him being unwell then? My DS was fine when the red cheeks came out. Do inform school though, I'll be very surprised if they don't have a run of it.

FabioTheWhisperingCat Sun 20-Jul-08 18:37:33

I think not.
See gp.

KristinaM Sun 20-Jul-08 18:41:16

The incubation period of slapped cheek syndrome is between 4-20 days. Physical symptoms are not usually present during the contagious stages of the virus. People infected with slapped cheek syndrome can pass it on without knowing during the early part of the illness but, when the rash appears, you or your child are no longer contagious to others.

from NHs direct here

sphil Sun 20-Jul-08 20:07:52

Thanks - the NHS Direct site is pretty clear. Haven't heard that anyone else in school has had it - but will mention it tomorrow in case DS1 has been in contact with any pregnant women in school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now