Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Travel Sickness

(6 Posts)
Katmac Sun 20-Jul-08 16:59:52

My DS who is 2 1/2 suffers from car sickness. I am now getting to the point of dreading long car journeys. These are not easy to avoid as grandparents all live 100+ miles away. I've done the window open, trying to get him to look straight ahead (not easy at his age)etc. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Heated Sun 20-Jul-08 17:02:14

There is an old wives tale about sitting them on newspaper in the car which oddly enough worked for my brother as a young child.

What about over the counter remedies or is your ds too young?

Katmac Thu 31-Jul-08 10:50:19

Most over the counter remedies are from 3yrs. I spoke to the Doc and not much help. He said there was nothing available until 5!!! I have bought some kids travel wrist bands so we'll see. Thanks for your tip. I am up for trying anything and will let you know. smile

ImnotOK Thu 31-Jul-08 10:55:21

I hate travel sickness I still suffer now hmm.

The looking straight ahead never worked for me but the window open worked and fruity sweets (I know he is too young for boiled sweets) .

Things that made it worse were people eating strong smelling things (cheese & Onion crisps barf) and those bloody stupid air freshners that are shaped like trees .
And obv reading .

Hope you manage to sort it out

MehgaLegs Thu 31-Jul-08 11:03:09

I still suffer too and it was me rather than the kids that vomited there way down to Cornwall last year. blush

Try the wrist bands - it would make an interesting study too as I have used them with some success in the past but always wondered if it was mind over matter. That's if he'll wear them though.

Katmac Wed 06-Aug-08 18:44:49

Just got back from trip and used the wrist bands,newspaper on seat, window open,trying to get DS to look straight ahead and taking it slow around the corners (did add to journey time) and he wasn't sick grin. Don't know if any of the above actually helped but the end result was a puke free journey and a happy son. Thanks for all the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now