Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Strategy for managing AF when on holiday - Norethisterone or Mooncup?

(6 Posts)
fruittea Sun 20-Jul-08 10:55:43

We're going away on Tuesday, villa with pool. AF is due on Friday. I've been to my GP and got Norethisterone to stop AF arriving, but I've never used it before and am not sure of its effects beyond the obvious.

In particular, I always get very sore norks in the week leading up to my AF, and get a bit bloated, and this has already started. By Tuesday, when I need to start taking the pills, my norks will feel like they're about to explode. So I'm wondering, does the Norethisterone keep your body in some sort of a state of suspended animation from the point at which you start it - in which case, can I look forward to two weeks of my usual premenstrual discomfort, or doesn't it work like that?

My alternative strategy is to let nature take its course and maybe try using a mooncup, which I have used for one AF but have never really got into using regularly. Can you swim reliably with one, without leakage?

Thanks

fruittea Mon 21-Jul-08 13:54:57

anyone?

norkmaiden Mon 21-Jul-08 13:56:53

mooncup fine for swimming. I have no idea what the drug is, but if it were me I'd just get the bleeding over and done with.

Have a good holiday whatever you decide!

katz Mon 21-Jul-08 14:01:40

mooncup great for swimming - i did a spa afternoon with one.

TMI here but i'm a very heavy bleeder and would NEVER have considered swimming or going to the spa using tampons but the mooncup fab, no problems

Izzybel Mon 21-Jul-08 14:05:07

When I was younger (before I went on the pill) the doctor used to prescribe me with something to stop AF arriving. Not sure if it was Norethisterone or not, but I don't remember ever feeling any premenstrual discomfort. As soon as you stop taking it your AF starts anyway so could you not take it for a few days and then if you feel too uncomfortable just stop and use MC? Sorry to not be much help.

fruittea Mon 21-Jul-08 14:20:02

Thanks. Good to hear good reports of the mooncup - must go and boil it up!

Yes, I think I'll try the pills out and if I feel crap I'll stop and swap to the mooncup.

Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now