Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

NHS Direct says call an ambulance what do you think?

(60 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Sun 20-Jul-08 10:23:58

Had really bad stomach pain for about a week, but suffer from IBS so have not taken too much notice, really bad diorrhea but again have IBS.

Just been to the loo and my poo was swimming in blood. Bright red blood. Have had a bit before but never this amount.

Am not going to call an ambulance but could go to A and E, or walk in centre or go to the doctors on Monday but I will struggle getting time off work.

ggglimpopo Sun 20-Jul-08 10:24:48

If nhs direct say ambulance, I would do that, I really would.....

lulumama Sun 20-Jul-08 10:25:52

you should do what they say

are you sure it is IBS? i was misdiagnosed with IBS and turns out i have crohns disease

definitely get to hospital to be checked out urgently.

CoteDAzur Sun 20-Jul-08 10:26:02

Without meaning to sound alarmist: Turn PC off and go to the hospital, NOW!

Miaou Sun 20-Jul-08 10:26:08

Go. Now. Ambulance.

MummyDoIt Sun 20-Jul-08 10:26:51

Get to A&E. Don't drive yourself. If someone can take you immediately, fine. If not, call that ambulance. That's what they're for.

Carmenere Sun 20-Jul-08 10:27:47

A&E

Flamesparrow Sun 20-Jul-08 10:27:55

they say ambulance

USE IT

Jas Sun 20-Jul-08 10:28:20

I agree. Call that ambulance.

Purplepillow Sun 20-Jul-08 10:29:12

Twinsetandpearls I hope you have gone to hospital!

But try and not panic too much but beeter to go and checked out.

Hope your better andhome soon.

Flossish Sun 20-Jul-08 10:29:54

What Mummdo it said.

You may have lost a lot of blood and this isn't good. You need to get examined to find out if there is a simple polyp or pile there or if there is a problem further up.

You also need to have bloods taken to make sure your blood levels aren't low which can make you very ill indeed.

Whatever you do don't be tempted to drive yourself. Please do go to a and e.

Purplepillow Sun 20-Jul-08 10:30:07

* better obviously blush

littleducks Sun 20-Jul-08 10:32:39

well, if they are wrong and you feel that you are wasting their time you have the perfect reason to have called an ambulance- they told you to, so nobody is going to look down on you

nhs direct told my sil that she was having a heart attack and they were calling an ambulance for her, she refused but still went to a and e (woke bil up saying, "I'm not sure about this but the nurse says i'm having a heart attack) she had a painful chest infection and was treated well.

So hopefully like her you have a less serious complaint that will be treated at hosp and they will praise you for following madical advice, so get yourself to a and e if you havent left already.

twinsetandpearls Sun 20-Jul-08 10:33:03

that was nhs website am on the phone to them now. dp could drive me complete waste of taxpayers resources to use an ambulance

Flamesparrow Sun 20-Jul-08 10:36:24

If your dp is there and can take you then go to a&e now.

Habbibu Sun 20-Jul-08 10:36:56

No, not waste of resources - you'll see trained medical professionals (paramedics) straight away, and be seen immediately in A&E. They don't suggest ambulances lightly.

MeMySonAndI Sun 20-Jul-08 10:39:00

Ok, let him drive you to A&E but stop chatting and go there NOW.

If you are hemorraging you are actually saving tax payer's money by acting quickly.

twinsetandpearls Sun 20-Jul-08 10:40:00

nhs direct on the phone are contacting the emergency doctor but because of my IBS they are not too worried. Emergency doctor will call within an hour.

ThingOne Sun 20-Jul-08 10:40:31

Have you gone yet?

twinsetandpearls Sun 20-Jul-08 10:44:38

am waiting for the emergency doctor to phone me.

MeMySonAndI Sun 20-Jul-08 10:47:05

What for? he will tell you the same, he has no means to stop the problem... however he will ring the ambulance for you.

TheHedgeWitch Sun 20-Jul-08 11:01:28

Message withdrawn

SueW Sun 20-Jul-08 11:05:35

Something similar happened to my sis last year. She was kept in for almost a week, had some tests and diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

She was given steroids to help her get over it but she's off them now and AFAIK having no treatment at all although has to bear in mind it could flare up again.

Good luck.

wotulookinat Sun 20-Jul-08 11:09:22

Sod the emergency doctor - go to hospital yourself.

Jajas Sun 20-Jul-08 11:11:27

I would just get driven there if possible by OH or friend. I must say I wouldn't feel right getting in an ambulance if I was able to walk and just go by car. Really hope you are ok, sounds frightening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now