Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed...cosmetic dental surgery

(17 Posts)
lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:07:36

After 15 depressing years of being totally embarrassed about my teeth I have taken out a loan and am booked in for cosmetic surgery this week. I'm having 4 crowns and 4 veneers to make me a beautiful smile and I can't wait!!However, I'm already talking myself into something going wrong. I'm going for a clean tomorrow and then the prep work on Thursday (I know its not going to be nice) and then I will have temporary crowns, etc before the final fitting the following Friday. Has anyone had anything similar done? Were you pleased with the outcome? Also, what are the temporary ones going to look like as I will be wearing them for over a week and have a big work presentation two days before the permanent ones are fitted.

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:20:46

bumpity bump

bumpity bump

I want to smile like this grin not this smile

southeastastra Sun 20-Jul-08 09:36:29

i have 6 crowns at the front! was the best thing i ever had done. they look fab

the temp ones were awful but i blame drinking wine

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:37:40

what are they like the temp ones?
are they just sitting around at the dental surgery? i.e. one size fits all?

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:39:13

I have lost all my self confidence through hiding my teeth, I dread every occasion and photograph, they have really made my life a misery, I can't believe that in 2 weeks time that hige worry will be (hopefully) gone, all gone and I will be able to smile again

southeastastra Sun 20-Jul-08 09:40:26

no they make them up to match your teeth!

even the temp ones looked better than my original ones

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:42:06

how quickly can they make them? i'm having the work done on thursday so what will they put on then? the temp ones i mean, i know the real ones will take a week, perhaps I misunderstood in my excitement grin

southeastastra Sun 20-Jul-08 09:43:35

yes they put the temp ones on at the first appointment, otherwise you'd look like a squirrel for the week

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:43:45

I understood it was clean up monday, pre-work thursday (1 hour appointment) and then fitting a week on friday (45 minute appointment)...and nearly £3k poorer, but will all be worth it!!!!! grin

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:44:52

lol about the squirrel, just wondered what the temp ones would be like? do they fit ok? do you look odd? although like you said they probably can't look any worse than mine do now, and I'm used to keeping my teeth hidden!!

southeastastra Sun 20-Jul-08 09:48:41

yes the temp ones looked ok, not odd at all, just avoid food that could stain them, or red wine

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 09:54:47

i'm so excited about it all, i pray it goes well. thanks so much for talking to me this morning, i really appreciate it, will let you know how i get on x

southeastastra Sun 20-Jul-08 10:03:36

you'll look fab, like grin this.

SqueakyPop Sun 20-Jul-08 10:15:15

The temporary teeth won't be as translucent as the porcelain ones, so they won't look natural, but will be better than what you have now. They will be the right shape and size though and will fit properly under your gumline.

pgwithnumber3 Sun 20-Jul-08 10:33:35

I have had 2 veneers and teeth whitening, the best thing I ever did, if I wasn't so shy I would have posted pics of before and after so you could see how much better it actually makes you look.

The temporary ones are fine, as Squeaky said, they will look better than what you have got but they will feel really thick. When you get your new ones you won't be able to stop looking after them. I even videoed mine to see what they looked like and DH found the tape. How fecking embarrassing! blush

lulabelle Sun 20-Jul-08 21:13:17

oh goodness I hope so, I can't afford financially or emotionally for this to go wrong, I can't believe that this burden that has taken over my life is finally going to be lifted from me!!

pgwithnumber3 Mon 21-Jul-08 09:57:07

They will be fab BUT if for some reason you are not happy with them, let your dentist know asap as I made this mistake the first time I had veneers (had 2 sets) and just lived with them and when I look back at pics, they were bloody awful!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now