Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a 10 week old baby have probiotics?

(33 Posts)
hotpotmama Sat 19-Jul-08 22:42:04

My 10 week old DS was on very strong antibiotics when he was 4 weeks old as he was in hospital and they thought he may have meningitis. It turned out to be a urine infection so the antibiotics were then changed. He had antibiotics for about 3 weeks in total.

Ever since he has been quite windy and his poo is very watery, green, quite foamy. Saw a cranial ostepath and he mentioned about probiotics as the antibiotics can also get rid of good bacteria from the gut. However when he showed me the literature, it said from 6 months.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of these and if they can be given to babies this young?

Ta.

Frizbe Sat 19-Jul-08 22:44:07

bump

snickersnack Sat 19-Jul-08 22:46:25

Solgar do a probiotic specifically for infants, which I'm sure is suitable from birth (but do check). There's another brand as well, but the name escapes me. I gave it to dd when she was about 8 weeks old, recommended by my BF counsellor, as she had thrush brought on by large doses of antibiotics just after birth. It's not hugely easy to find, but a really good health food shop should have them or be able to order them.

hotpotmama Sun 20-Jul-08 08:24:31

Thanks for that snickersnack and frizbe. Will go on a search for Solgar!

Cheers

ummadam Sun 20-Jul-08 11:59:29

hotpotmama, is he breastfed or bottlefed because if breastfed then you will be already giving him back what he needs...

mousemole Sun 20-Jul-08 20:24:26

I gave mine probiotics from a few weeks old. I still use them now actually, especially when they are ill. Solgar do a good one as mentioned and there is a bio care one as well.

hotpotmama Thu 07-Aug-08 22:39:57

He is breastfed, ummadam. Sorry for late response!!

Thanks again for replies.

LittleDorrit Thu 07-Aug-08 22:45:05

Hotpotmama - if he is breastfed, then you don't need to give him probiotics - he is already getting them in your milk - that's the fabulous thing about breastmilk !

PinkPurple Thu 07-Aug-08 22:52:57

the Solgar probiotics are brillant. Its a great idea to give them after (or during) a course of antibiotics, even if brestfeeding.

Higher Nature do a good one too, called Probio Easy.

you can get either online, or in a good health shop.

hotpotmama Sat 09-Aug-08 22:44:10

I am breastfeeding but he has been on so many strong antibiotics and has just had some more this week for an abscess, poor little fella, that I feel he needs them as well.

Have bought the Solgar ABC Dophilus for infants today but it doesn't say from birth, just says infants. The lady in the shop said they are ok from birth, even the solgar website doesn't say.

Don't have much success expressing so I decided to just dab it on my finger (clean) and let him suck it off my finger. Am hoping that is ok.

PinkPurple Sun 10-Aug-08 09:28:49

you could also mix it with a spoonful of cool boiled water.
For a small baby, 1/4 level teaspoon per day is enough.
Always give it after or during a feed. its better to give it on a full tummy as well, that way they have more chance of surviving the acid in the stomach, and getting to the part of the gut where they need to be.

You can also phone them if you need any more help, I've always found them very helpful
01442 890355

misi Sun 10-Aug-08 12:54:38

solarays babylife is the best probiotic I have come across as it is specifically for children under five and I gave it to my son the moment he came home from hospital as he had spent the first 7 days of his life on anti biotics (mum had group B strep and her waters broke before we could get her to hospital)

moondog Sun 10-Aug-08 12:57:34

I wouldn't mess around with supplements. Your breastmilk is the VERY best thing for him.

misi Sun 10-Aug-08 14:53:15

spot on moondog, but a babies digestive system is not fully developed when he is born and anti biotics can inhibit digestion even more,way beyond breast milks immune boosting and probiotic capability pro biotics are recommended by natural practitioners and more and more GP's alike when a baby has had to have anti B's to replenish and develop the intestinal flora.
babylife and solgar mentioned here are not supps in the traditional vitamin and mineral way. the symptoms mentioned in the OP suggest that the friendly bugs have been decimated by the anti b's so although I would waiver in my reccommendation for a baby to have vit supps, supps of probiotics can do no harm but a lot of good no matter what the health of that baby

hatrick Sun 10-Aug-08 15:25:05

Message withdrawn

PinkPurple Sun 10-Aug-08 18:42:49

same as misi said, she's explained it much better than I could. (although agree, in general, with moondog too grin )

hatrick Sun 10-Aug-08 19:18:06

Message withdrawn

winestein Sun 10-Aug-08 21:45:07

<hijack> MISI if you see this can you please contact me - after having read some other stuff by you I would really like to chat to you (I have tried to CAT you but you don't accept). woman@the-boozer.com

I would really appreciate it.

misi Sun 10-Aug-08 22:19:27

pinkpurple, thanks for the compliment but I is a bloke!! grin

PinkPurple Sun 10-Aug-08 22:37:40

oops blush grin

hotpotmama Sun 10-Aug-08 22:43:54

Moondog, is there a reason why you say don't mess around with supplements? Am starting to worry now that I shouldn't be giving him them.

Just want to make my little DS better again and think he needs a bit of a boost.

He has been on antibiotics again this week as has had an abscess and it was either antibiotics or a general anaesthetic and draining it. Not had much luck so far sad

misi Sun 10-Aug-08 23:14:55

hotpot, no need to worry as the amounts in bassetts are pretty low (even if they say 100% rda, the amount you absorb is much lower due to the quality of the ingredients)

I personally would take the probiotics and a vit c preparation only as this is most likely the only things needed. I doubt whether a child that young would need the fat soluable vits like a and e and unless you keep her in a darkened room all year, I doubt at that age she will need vit D either. but I think you'll find she has a mild thrush/candida problem due to the anti b's and that is what the sores are so use plenty of probiotics

misi Sun 10-Aug-08 23:33:31

sorry hotpot, got my threads mixed up there, someone else asked about the bassetss vits blush but the probiotics part of my answer still stands as probiotics won't harm anyone

moondog Mon 11-Aug-08 11:38:35

Hotpot, I am no expert (you need someone like Tiktok for this) but

moondog Mon 11-Aug-08 11:38:56

I refuse to buy into a consumer culture that says we need more than can be gained from simple good food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now