Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR Reaction

(7 Posts)
jaz2 Sat 19-Jul-08 21:32:58

DS had his MMR booster last Wednesday (he's 20 months old, advised to have booster early due to measles/mumps outbreaks in the area). Previously he's had no reactions to any jabs (incl his first MMR at 15 months).

On Friday he started to become subdued, very slight temp and generally not his perky self. Off his food, and two bad nights of him crying in his sleep. I'm assuming this is an MMR reaction?

But about 6 times he has said "neck, hurt" (usually when he has tried to run). He doesn't seem bothered by it the rest of the time, but I have a niggly worry.

Has anyone else had experience of their DC's neck hurting after the jabs?

LackaDAISYcal Sat 19-Jul-08 21:38:57

not sure about her neck, but my DD had hers last Tuesday, then Wednesday there she went off her food, was unsettled and her temp was spiking at 40 for most of Thursday. she seemed to perk up last night at teatime, but was up all night, is off her food again and keeps pulling at her face and pointing at her mouth. she is only 13 months so can't tell me what's wrong, but we have had a very miserable few days. If she isn;t any better tomorrow (although her temp is back to normal) I'm taking her to the docs.

Some information on side effects here

I'd call the doc if you are at all worried as it could be something else entirely, like tonsilitis.

jaz2 Sat 19-Jul-08 21:46:27

Sorry to hear DD has had a bad reaction. Hope you have a better night tonight.

I am fairly sure that DS's reaction is MMR having read various websites. He points to the back of his neck when he says it hurts, so I'm assuming its not a sore throat/tonsilitus. We may end up spending sunday at the drop-in clinic - for assurance, as my imagination is running riot.

And some t**t intermittently setting off fireworks down the road doesn't help poor little ones sleep!

LackaDAISYcal Sat 19-Jul-08 21:54:38

angry at your insensitive near neighbours.

I hope he is OK. He hasn't fallen badly and pulled a muscle has he? If you can get to a drop in centre it's probably worth it just to set your mind at rest.

hope you get a good night too smile

<slopes off for an early night incase things get gnarly again later>

CoteDAzur Sat 19-Jul-08 21:55:04

I would take him immediately to the hospital, but that might be because I am a bit paranoid and his neck hurting would bring to my mind viral meningitis which can be caused by one of the viral components of MMR.

----------------------------

See here.

What types of viruses cause meningitis?

Viral meningitis is usually an uncommon complication of some common viral illnesses. For example, measles, mumps, chicken pox, herpes simplex, enteroviruses and some arboviruses may occasionally cause viral meningitis.

Very occasionally, people can be left with serious long term neurological after effects. 40% of children who develop measles encephalitis are left with long-term brain damage.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 20-Jul-08 13:17:59

how is he today jaz2?

My DD is almost back to her normal self, and only stirred in the night a few times, never actually woke up so we were able to settle her just rubbing her back. ME. on the ither hand; I've woken up with a hideous throat infection, so maybe that's what was bothering her.

jaz2 Mon 21-Jul-08 13:24:05

Oh poor you - that's horrible. Hope you feel better soon.

So yesterday morning (after a shocker of a night) I called NHS Direct, and they discounted meningitus (I think I had - having done some of the checks previously). They did suggest I went to the docs if he kept complaining about his neck.

He was quite a bit better yesterday, and had a peaceful night last night. Today he was "running" and only once muttered about his neck.

However yesterday afternoon I felt dreadfully sick and had to go to bed (could have been acute morning sickness). Feeling okish now - especially now DS seems more himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now