Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how do i know the state of my pelvic floor?

(20 Posts)
Bbbee Sat 19-Jul-08 19:45:30

I have had two children and I did vague attempts at exercises for a bit afterwards and have done pilates in the past.

is there a way i can know the state of it - like how can you tell?

(have just seen a tena lady advert!)

nickytwotimes Sat 19-Jul-08 19:46:31

Try to stop peeing mid-stream.

Scary - mine's gone! shock

onepieceoflollipop Sat 19-Jul-08 19:47:38

What happens when you sneeze? Or if you have a bad cough? That is normally (ime) a good indication of the state of your pelvic floor...

cocolepew Sat 19-Jul-08 19:48:03

Go on a trampoline grin

southeastastra Sat 19-Jul-08 19:48:37

from the guardian article you can only tell once you hit the menopause!

TurkeyLurkey Sat 19-Jul-08 19:48:39

Mines terrible. So bad I was considering a Talk namechange to 'PMSL'.

brimfull Sat 19-Jul-08 19:49:06

bounce on a trampoline with a full bladder

skip on a full bladder

can you sneeze without clutching your crotch?

see i can stop weeing mid flow but don't ask me to jump on a trampoline

spudballoo Sat 19-Jul-08 19:51:59

It's impossible to know without undergoing some pretty grim tests (here speaks the voice of experience). And [puts on Voice of Doom} even if things 'seem' ok now in terms of control, their may well be latent damage from childbirth which will only show up later in life. the only solution is to do your pelvic floor exercises every single day of your life, for the rest of your life.

Many women have no idea they have issues until middle age hits, the menopause kicks in and the hormonal change causes muscles all over the body to weaken including, of course, the pelvic floor.

So, preventative action is the way forward to avoid those Tena Lady moments.

x

Podrick Sat 19-Jul-08 19:52:52

bounce as high as you can on a trampoline
see what happens

snooks Sat 19-Jul-08 19:53:19

is anyone else reading this thread and clenching at the same time?

CoteDAzur Sat 19-Jul-08 19:53:44

Did the Nazi butcher midwife who gave me an enormous episiotomy have a point, then? I can jump on trampoline (and often do, with DD), sneeze, cough, stop weeing mid-flow.

Should I stop hating her with a vengeance? Did she really save my pelvic floor. I wonder.

popsycal Sat 19-Jul-08 19:53:45

get pregnant
try toteasch your ds1 to skip whilst simultaneously having a coughin gfit

that sorted my doubts out....

morningpaper Thu 24-Jul-08 21:24:30

> So, preventative action is the way forward to avoid those Tena Lady moments.

I read that as PENETRATIVE ACTION

I was thinking 'wahey'

MadamAntisDerelicte Thu 24-Jul-08 21:26:56

BBBee - funny you should ask this. I've just started pilates and the health questionnaire asked be to grade my pelvic floor. I gave it an 8, but tbh I think I was being a bit harsh. Didn't want to be accused of favouritism.

DontNeedAnything Thu 24-Jul-08 21:27:51

Actuyally MP....you aren't a million miles from teh truth there.

An orgasm a day is supposed to be "as good as" 10 reps of the ppelvic floors teh boring way....

PortAndLemon Thu 24-Jul-08 21:28:51

If you have a moderately full bladder, can you sneeze while walking with no leakage?

wheresthehamster Thu 24-Jul-08 21:30:32

Sometimes when I blow off I wet myself. Going through the menopause at the moment. Is there any hope for me? sad

morningpaper Thu 24-Jul-08 21:45:44

Sadly, there is no hope for any laydee who admits to 'blowing off'

sorry about that

FrayedKnot Thu 24-Jul-08 21:49:31

Has BBBee gone to try out the trampoline?

MindingMum Sat 13-Sep-08 18:02:17

just come across this thread and have to admit that I have always wondered how you can tell.

I have 5 DC and have never experienced bladder weakness, can stop my wee mid flow but rarely do pelvic floor exercises - does this mean mine are ok?

Am a bit puzzled, have asked DH what it feels like down there and he just said "lovely" hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now