Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is going on with DS2 (4)

(14 Posts)
FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 09:06:30

DS2 has woken up a couple of times in the last week or so complaining that his ear hurts and sobbing. It hasn't been every night, and generally once he's had calpol/neurofen (whichever I've pulled out the cupboard first) he's settled down ok and slept the rest of the night. Last night he woke up about 10ish settled down again then appeared in my bedroom at about 4 this morning saying that it hurt again (and ended up in bed with me - my boys have never climbed into bed with me in the night before)

During the day he's only complained of it hurting once - and that was about a week ago - although this morning he said that it does sometimes hurt during the day as well.

He's seems pretty much his normal self (lively, loud, boisterous) - but has been getting quite tired by the evenings (unusual for him) and been asking to go to bed early - and even falling asleep on the sofa. Again very unusual for him unless we've had a particularly busy day.

Probably fighting off an ear infection. You probably should get it looked at by a GP as he may need antibiotics.

FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 09:15:16

I'm just confused by the fact that it doesn't seem to be bothering him every day.

Typical that the latest (two in one night) happens on a Friday night so it'll be Monday before I can see the Dr.

FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 09:39:47

he's very quiet this morning hmm - but insists his ear isn't hurting him at the moment.

cece Sat 19-Jul-08 09:52:31

MY DD gets ear infections frequently. Generally if this goes on for about a week I take her to the doc and get some antibiotics.

Perfectly normal to only get the crying at night btw.

FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 10:43:13

but would he still be "ok" for the majority of the day - running around, playing, dancing - seeming fine etc if it was an ear infection??

edam Sat 19-Jul-08 10:58:25

He might be. Lying down can make ear pain worse.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 19-Jul-08 11:02:29

FAQ - my ds2 used to be like this with his ears. Lying down definitely nade it worse - increased the pressure or something.

FAQ Sat 19-Jul-08 11:20:25

I'll get him to the doctors on Monday then

The only DS that's ever had an ear infection was DS3 - and he was still tiny when he had his so easier to tell that something was up.

cece Sat 19-Jul-08 13:06:38

OH yes DD usually fine except for the crying at night thing.

tink123 Sat 19-Jul-08 21:48:38

sometimes if a child';s ear is blocked, lying down causes build up of stuff causing pain,or so i was told

FAQ Sun 20-Jul-08 12:52:26

well - it would appear it was indeed an ear infection - he woke up a few times last night went to Sunday school this morning, came back into church from Sunday school and his ear was full of gunk.....

Do I still need to take him to the Drs - or will they just tell me "this is the end of the infection - nothing we can do"???

Ear drum has burst. Would get better on its own but best checked and antibiotics given if the doc thinks its necessary. He shouldn't be in as much pain now.

FAQ Sun 20-Jul-08 13:21:32

thanks Shiny - shall ring in the morning and get an appointment.

He's sleeping on the sofa at the moment - been quite tearful today so far sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now