Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baby with itchy head

(7 Posts)
cookinmama Fri 18-Jul-08 19:45:35

My dd seems to have a very itchy head, she has had a lot of cradle cap but used olive oil to get rid of it. I still use the olive oil every second day to keep it at bay but she constantly scratches it (and sometimes makes it bleed) and is now trying to use dh's stuble as a scratching post. Any ideas on how to help her?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 18-Jul-08 19:53:59

oh, bless.

Do you use shampoo or anything like that? I had cthe dentinox shampoo but it only seems to make her itchier.

In the end i got some homeopathic cradle cap oil from a wee independant store that you rub in before bed and wash out in the morning and that seems to be keeping it under control. I only need to use it once or twice a week.

Not sure where it was from as the writing on the label has disappeared, but there are a few different ones on the market.

green baby

motherearth

babeeze

oi Fri 18-Jul-08 19:54:49

I would take her to the doc if it's irritating her so much. She might need a stronger cream.

Sawyer64 Fri 18-Jul-08 19:54:53

Put mittens on if she is young enough,and get some cream that might relieve the itch like Oilatum?

cookinmama Fri 18-Jul-08 20:02:44

She's 6 month and the mittens just get pulled off, am trying not to use anything but water and olive oil. will take her to the doc and then try the homeopathic route if that doesn't work. Thanks for the help.

Sawyer64 Fri 18-Jul-08 20:09:42

They do sell babygro's still where the cuffs fold back over the hands,that might work. I'm sure they were from Next,but don't quote me.

desperatehousewifetoo Fri 18-Jul-08 20:13:08

I used to use socks on my ds' hands as they were longer and could be tucked under his babygrow. I'm sure you already keep her finger nails trimmed.

Both my dc's had cradle cap until about a year ago (now 6 and 3 yrs). We used to rinse their hair using the bath water but once my hairdresser suggested this could be exaccerbating the cradle cap, started using fresh water. Worked a treat in a few weeks.

I also remember a HV saying cradle cap was related to excema when ds had both as a baby.
Not sure that really helps you though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now