Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

15 week old baby exposed to chicken pox. How worried should I be?

(15 Posts)
AnguaVonUberwald Fri 18-Jul-08 19:00:36

I have just been informed that the girl who's house we were at today has got fast spreading spots, though still not feeling unwell.

DS is 15 weeks. How worried should I be?

callmeovercautious Fri 18-Jul-08 19:02:21

Go to the GP, if they catch it in time they can give a jab of somesort that can reduce the symptoms. If you google there is some info on it. I checked it for a friend when DD caught CP recently as we had been to her house when her DD was very small.

AnguaVonUberwald Fri 18-Jul-08 19:03:44

OK, thanks. Can it wait until Monday or do I go to emergency doctor?

jellyforbrains Fri 18-Jul-08 19:10:03

Don't have any advice on prevention, but one of my DCs had Chicken Pox at around that age and it was fine. I was BF as well and had been told that it would probably boost the immunity (my older child had it so couldn't avoid exposing the baby). I have been told since though that having it at such a young age means that they are not immune from getting it again.

SJLTM Fri 18-Jul-08 19:13:46

exactly the same as jelly, DD2 had CP at 11 weeks caught from older siblings, she also was breast fed !! she is now nearly eighteen and to date hasn't had it again .

naughtymummy Fri 18-Jul-08 19:15:25

Have you had chicken pox? and are you breastfeeding ? Even without breast feeding if you've had it then baby would probrably be protected even if not brest feding I am surprised JFB DC had it so young unless she hadn't had it herself. There is an injection DS could have (VZIG) not sure that GP would give it in this case. Try not to worry.

olivo Fri 18-Jul-08 19:43:16

Angua, he may not catch it anyway; my dd was heavily exposed at the start of the year (sharing cups spoons, kissing etc) at 14 mo and didnt catch it. I was also told if she did get it, it may be mildly due to immunity from me.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 18-Jul-08 19:50:39

BIL and SIL are doctors. BIL's two small daughters had chicken pox last month and he asked if we wanted to come round for dd to catch it if she could (she was 5 months). We gave it a lot of thought but declined as her christening is next week.

Point is, he thought it was no problem to have, fewer symptoms and generally an easier time of it.

23balloons Fri 18-Jul-08 19:52:19

when ds2 was 6mths both me and ds1 got chickenpox. Ds2 was fully exposed but didn't catch it until he was 4.5yrs.

Recently a friend had a baby and her daughter got cpox the same week - baby caught it and was absoulutely fine. I have known lots of babies who have had cpox. Unless your baby has poor a immune system or something I wouldn't worry too much. She may not even get it at all.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 18-Jul-08 19:56:17

When DD was 4 weeks old, DS got chicken pox. When she was 6 weeks old, DD got it, despite being breastfed and me having had it.

She was fine smile

vacaloca Fri 18-Jul-08 19:59:35

DD1 had it a 12 weeks and she hardly even noticed. DD2 had it at 15 weeks and suffered more, so it seems the earlier the better. DD1 is now 5 and has been exposed to chicken pox lots since then but hasn't caught it again.

callmeovercautious Fri 18-Jul-08 20:15:46

I had a look for you, it seems under 6 weeks can be a slight risk. Over 6 weeks the GP will tell you it is fine.

oldlazy Fri 18-Jul-08 20:49:06

DS1 caught chicken pox and that evening I went into labour with DS2. So I brought a new baby back home to a toddler with full blown chicken pox. Doctor said the baby would have immunity from me and he wouldn't catch it. He didn't get it until he went to nursery at about 3.5. I wasn't bfing.

AnguaVonUberwald Fri 18-Jul-08 21:05:32

OK, thank you very much everyoody. I am breast feeding but am not sure if I have had chicken pox or not, will have to cal my mother and find out.

Thank you so much for your reassurance, was feeling really guilty for exposing him to it (accidentally)

DoubleBluff Fri 18-Jul-08 21:07:51

DS had it at 8 weeks nad was really poorly, had to take him t hospitla as he was red raw.
Don't let GP fob you off if you are worried as it can be dangerous in little babies. He has some awful scars too. sad
Hope yours doesn't get it as it is bloody awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now