Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feeling sorry for myself - cystitis for the first time ever

(13 Posts)
wangle99 Fri 18-Jul-08 19:00:28

Been to the GP and he has prescribed antibiotics is there anything I can do to ease the pain when peeing I could scream.

Can't believe have got to 33 without having it and now have got it, feeling very sorry for myself sad

objectivity Fri 18-Jul-08 19:02:36

I got it 'honeymoon cystitis' it was grin age 33 too.

Drink LOADS and LOADS. Very simple but most effective.

AnnabelCaramel Fri 18-Jul-08 19:03:58

Keep a jug in your bathroom and when you wee pour cold water over your bits at the same time. I used to suffer from this a lot when I was a student, usually brought on by too much cheap white wine and you have my sympathy.A bad bout takes over your life.

nobodysfool Fri 18-Jul-08 19:04:02

Take a large jug of water (warm or cold-your choice) and slowly pour it over your bits as you wee.
I promise it works!

wangle99 Fri 18-Jul-08 19:05:15

Thank you will do that, I have a massive bottle of water next to me but i'm afraid to drink it as don't want to wee but know i have to.

Jug to the bathroom it is.

I don't get ill very often quite hardy really but I just feel like crying at the moment blush

AnnabelCaramel Fri 18-Jul-08 19:05:36

Another thing that sometimes helps is a really really strong black coffee. Not poured, I mean to drink!!!

nobodysfool Fri 18-Jul-08 19:07:43

Oh and lots of cranberry juice to drink.

castlesintheair Fri 18-Jul-08 19:10:33

Loads of water. Cranberry juice. Don't drink alcohol, caffeine, no pepper or anything spicy or citrus. Sit there and make sure you empty your bladder completely even though it hurts. It's awful. I sympathise. I had 2 operations as a result of constant and chronic infections.

LIZS Fri 18-Jul-08 19:16:25

Had it for first time earlier this year aged 40(!) It's nasty, poor you

LordVenger Fri 18-Jul-08 19:16:30

Sit in a hot bath having eaten as much Nurofen PLUS (not normal stuff - it won't touch the sides) as possible. Chemists will sell you liquid Potassium Citrate, in a bottle, for £1.87. Drink about half of it neat. Then drink a pint of warm water every twenty minutes.

notcitrus Fri 18-Jul-08 19:17:54

Loads of water - like a litre an hour - flushes out the infection. And it won't hurt nearly as much when there's more water coming out, honest.
And something to make your urine alkaline - you can pay a fortune for Cystemme or similar in the chemist 'a pleasant sparkling drink', but cheaper and only slightly more disgusting is a heaped teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda - just knock it back ASAP.

I really sympathise - I ended up seeing a gynaecologist about recurring infections (other advice included cotton knickers only, no bubble bath - and when I got lots, no baths, and Ecover non-bio detergent.)

The best thing to do was get lots of water and just settle down on the loo with a good book for a few hours...

castlesintheair Fri 18-Jul-08 19:22:28

Oh yes bicarb is very effective - I used to get through tubs of that sad

satine Fri 18-Jul-08 19:24:37

Sigh - I can absolutely sympathise as I've had it for days........the sachets definitely make weeing less painful, and really, as everyone has said, the more you can drink the better!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now