Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds' foot - does anyone think this sounds serious?

(8 Posts)
lisalisa Fri 18-Jul-08 13:06:30

My ds who is 9 stepped on a drawing pin ( without socks and shoes) on the school stage a few days ago. He complained of pain in the heel and said it felt crampy and as if something was stopping him putting his heel down. I told him that the pain would subside fairly quickly but he still has pain.

The "wound" is absolutely clean apart from a slight black bit at the top which I'm not sure is not connected at all - looks like some sort of mark in upper layers of skin rthar than conected to the wound. The "wound" is not even that - just looks like small hole ( which it is!)- nothing at all remarkeable. Ds is off school today as said foot hurts and head an dtummy too.

Not sure whether this is a case of end of school year itis and want a day at home itis or whether i should get it checked. My gut instint is it doesn't need checking as its such a clean wound and should heal itself but thought I would ask your opinions.

He has had up to date tetanus btw

AvenaLife Fri 18-Jul-08 13:09:08

Are you sure a bit didn't break off?
I would take him to be checked. You don't know what sort of bugs were on the point. He probably is milking it a bit but it's always better to take him to the practice nurse. Then threaten him with injections.

lisalisa Fri 18-Jul-08 13:15:42

Hmm avenalife - good points but how will nurse/doctor ascertain anything other than by looking which is what i did. didn't think about bits breaking off though......

AvenaLife Fri 18-Jul-08 18:17:59

He might need an x-ray to see if a bit might be stuck inside. A&E/minor injury would be your best bet. My ds is this age and would milk something like this. It should be checked, then you know whether he's pulling a fast one or not. wink

windygalestoday Fri 18-Jul-08 18:20:43

are drawing pins magnetic?

what if you put a magnet on it wouldnt he feel a movement and then youd know?

or is that a daft idea?

MaureenMLove Fri 18-Jul-08 18:25:01

From bitter memory, I can tell you that standing on a drawing pin is unbeeeelivably painful and will be for a few days!

However, if he's still complaining of a sore tummy tomorrow, I don't think its unreasonable to take him to get it checked out.

lisalisa Sun 20-Jul-08 22:05:06

~Thanks everyone - pain has subsided now and he seems 100% - think maureenmlove had it right - it was just unbelievably painful !!!

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sun 20-Jul-08 22:06:44

it isnt red or hot is it? sign of infection if so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now