Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hand Foot Mouth Disease - food tips please?

(9 Posts)
FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 18-Jul-08 12:45:54

My 14 month DS just been diagnosed with Hand Foot Mouth Disease. Eating is obviously painful/uncomfortable for him as he's got a nasty blister on his tongue. Can anyone suggest any food which might be easy for him to eat, and relieve any pain please? Off to buy some ice cream later but bit stuck on savoury food ideas. TIA.

twocutedarlings Fri 18-Jul-08 14:34:26

tbh, all both of my girls would eat when they had this was cold stuff, like your say ice cream!! but id also stock up on yogurts and any thing else that can be eaten really cold without much effort.

Both of mine were over the worst of it within about five days, so it wont be for long, just let him eat whatever he fancies while hes ill with it. Its a nasty virus but thankfully they only have the once.

Bumbleybee Fri 18-Jul-08 14:46:56

My son has had it twice so far, hopefully not again, he went right off food, and just would not eat anything for a couple of days, he only wanted juice, although I think I read somewhere that fruit juice can make it feel worse because of its acidity. If you are concerned about him not eating it is possible to get a spray, I think it is called Difflam, which numbs the mouth so that they can eat more comfortably.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Fri 18-Jul-08 16:51:04

Thanks. Will try and get that spray. He's not really eating much at all, even refusing ice cream sad, and doesn't like yoghurt normally so am a bit stuck, but he's drinking water and milk ok so will just have to ride it out I guess.

Phoenix Sun 20-Jul-08 15:22:22

My 2.5 year old has hand foot and mouth at the moment. He had a blister/ulcer on his tongue, was off his food (typical when he's just started eating really well) and spots on his bottom yesterday, then today he has spots on his hands and feet. He's drinking a bit and will eat ice lollys, never thought of ice cream i might try him with some when he wakes up (sparked out in front of cbeebies an hour ago). Also got yogurts in so i'll see if he'll have one of them later.

eddiejo Sun 20-Jul-08 15:37:37

Yes the spray is called Difflam and the pharmacist might get funny over giving it to an under 2 but if he reads the instructions - dosage goes by weight.
Hope he's ok.

eddiejo Sun 20-Jul-08 15:37:39

Yes the spray is called Difflam and the pharmacist might get funny over giving it to an under 2 but if he reads the instructions - dosage goes by weight.
Hope he's ok.

Phoenix Sun 20-Jul-08 21:25:10

Is that spray stuff available over the counter does anyone know?

eddiejo Mon 21-Jul-08 19:44:59

Yes it is - you have to ask the pharmacist tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now