Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3.5yr old with anal fissure (I think). Any advice??

(9 Posts)
fruitsalad Fri 18-Jul-08 09:43:43

My 3.5yr old has had blood virtually every time he poos for about 6 weeks now. 1st time at dr's he said wait and see. 2nd time, he agreed with me it's probably a tear brought on by the one and only time he's ever been constipated. It just doesn't seem to be clearing up and the blood is a good 10p piece size every time I wipe him. Dr has now prescribed lactulose to loosen things up but DS is already quite loose from the increase in fruit I've been giving him. So can't see the lactulose helping really. Has anyone got any experience with this? I'm starting to get pretty upset about it.

strawberry Fri 18-Jul-08 09:49:07

They do take ages to heal. Ds2 had one when potty training. It is distressing to see blood but our doc was reluctant to do anything. It did eventually heal. Hope he's ok.

MumWith2Boys Fri 18-Jul-08 12:14:40

How about trying a bit of salt in the bath to help it heal? Hope he's OK.

tootiredtothink Fri 18-Jul-08 13:35:57

Your poor, poor ds sad.

I had this after giving birth to dd and was told the only way for it to heal was to go for an anal stretch under general anesthetic (wondering if i can use this as an excuse for my enormous backsidehmm). But obviously that is something you would want to avoid.

I also remember the dread of having to use the loo so definately give the lactulose a go.

fruitsalad Fri 18-Jul-08 17:34:47

Maybe I'll try the lactulose then. I forgot to say he is definitely putting off going for poos because of the pain it's causing. He's whimpering whilst doing it which really is horrible to watch! Have told dr all this but he says he's not worried. His poo is perfectly soft enough so how the hell is this ever going to heal??

Tootired- sorry you've had this too . Is it still not healed? Yes, I would really want to avoid an op and GA.

tootiredtothink Fri 18-Jul-08 18:14:03

It's healed - my dd is 9 now grin.

But yes, I still remember the pain and even as an adult putting off 'going'. I was told mine wouldn't heal without the 'stretch' but maybe it's different with children? It's good to know that strawberrys ds healed naturally.

Maybe you could read with him whilst on the potty? Something to distract him?

Sadly during my time that's what I did and now am officially a 'man' in that department where by I can't go to the loo without a book blush.

naughtymummy Fri 18-Jul-08 18:40:57

Im a peadiatric Dr and sometimes I have used lignocaine (local aneasthetic)gel/cream in these cases to apply before going . Try to get some from GP ? Also i would ask if you are sure he is not constipated having what looks like loose poo can be overflow in a constipated child. I would give the lactulose a go but go back if things do not improve good luck

fruitsalad Fri 18-Jul-08 22:16:31

naughtymummy- that's interesting. My DH has just said that's the same as calgel but don't worry, we won't use that! He is definitely not constipated, it is not that loose- it's just soft and formed (yes tmi!). I just can't understand why this is not healing. Is there anything else it might be? The blood is bright red.

AbstractMouse Fri 18-Jul-08 22:57:21

I do sympathise, my dd had this after surreptitiously snarfing 5 bananas lol. Hers didn't seem to bother her too much, but you could see the tear and looked very ouchy, did heal in time though. Would deffo go back to see maybe another Dr if it is making him put off pooing, even if only for the local anaesthetic gel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now