Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd's broken her wrist - and I didn't realise ....

(12 Posts)
mimsum Thu 17-Jul-08 17:06:52

blush
she fell off a slide on Tuesday but seemed ok - upset but ok - she was complaining her wrist hurt yesterday but was using it a bit (not her dominant hand) - she was still complaining this morning so I decided to take her into the local hospital to put my mind at rest .... she's got a fracture in one of the small bones - very small but still very painful - and will be in plaster for 3 weeks - just in time for the school holidays

I feel terrible - but not as terrible as dh whose parting words as he left for work this morning were "there's nothing wrong with that child's arm" ...

NorthernLurker Thu 17-Jul-08 17:15:34

Yep that's a parenting classic isn't it? We fret over the small stuff and yet when there's actually something wrong all but fail to notice. I've done the same - it was a migraine with my child. I said 'oh she's just over-excited' - about two seconds before she was very, very sick on my parents carpet....My own mum told me I was faking illness one Christmas - she got her reward when I threw up all over the supermarket checkout. And only a fortnight ago I ended up at A&E with dd1 - she hurt her ankle the night before and I played it down. Thought I'd better do something the enxt day when she couldn't put her foot down! we got lucky - it was only a sprain.

NorthernLurker Thu 17-Jul-08 20:01:39

oh dear - it's only me and the op who fail to notice stuff apparently.....never mind sister - we'll be unobservant mothers together grin

<NL frantically hopes this will serve as a bump and bring on more tales of maternal myopia>

unfitmother Thu 17-Jul-08 20:05:46

Don't beat your self up over it!!

I remember my mum telling my older sis to shut up when she fell off a climbing frame.
That afternoon she was in a procession in church when a GP in the congregation noticed her arm was broken. grin We still tease her about it but this sort of thing is very common.

Milliways Thu 17-Jul-08 20:09:26

Don't worry - even the professionals get it wrong sometimes. DS had his leg X-rayed (on a quiet Sunday morning) and was sent home with it bandaged as a bad sprain. It was broken and not plastered until Wed late evening!!

retiredgoth Thu 17-Jul-08 20:15:17

....torus fractures in kids are not obvious.

Guilty mums who delay seeking treatment for these are not a daily occurrence in A and E.... they are a several times a day occurrence! (I have seen 3 today!)

....so don't worry. There must be a significant number of people who never seek treatment for these injuries, and suffer no ill effects. They are only plastered for comfort, really...

ummadam Thu 17-Jul-08 20:41:26

as above (retiredgoth very correct!)

aged 9 I got a greenstick fracture of one of the bones in my arm. I went canoeing the next day out at sea and had to come in early as it was a bit sore, I only ended up in hospital 2 days later when I fell on it again and it hurt more (the Xray already showed healing bone blush.

aged 14 I broke my ankle, fracture wasn't easy to spot so got missed until they did their second check a few days later and I got called back for plaster and crutches (I couldn't walk on it so had been hopping around school!)

Hope your little girl feels better soon.

herbietea Thu 17-Jul-08 20:47:37

Message withdrawn

kiddiz Thu 17-Jul-08 21:52:03

I made my ds finish his paper round with a broken wrist because I thought he was trying it on to get me to take him in the car. blush

unknownrebelbang Thu 17-Jul-08 21:58:26

DS1 broke his wrist one Saturday a few years back, but we didn't realise, and only went to A&E on the Sunday when he knocked it again.

Took it to be plastered on Monday...and then back to A&E on Tuesday, when he fell over onto it hmm.

I also said his finger would be ok earlier this year...only for DH to take one look an hour later and whip him up to A&E to find it was fractured...

elmoandella Thu 17-Jul-08 22:07:58

i broke my foot playing footy with the boys. teacher, head teacher and janitor. wouldn't believe how much pain i was in. wouldn't let me go home early. when i went home and when my mum seen my foot she took me straight to a & e

i've never known a school to apoplogise so much.

come to think of it. in this day in age my mum would have sued.

grin

mimsum Thu 17-Jul-08 22:31:15

thanks feeling better now as I'm obviously not the only neglectful mother here ... dd's been really good about it - was beautifully behaved at hospital and only got upset tonight when she realised she wouldn't be able to go to her swimming lesson on Sunday

part of me feels really guilty - but part of me thinks that if she wasn't such a drama queen at times I'd have taken her more seriously grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now