Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds son has chicken pox - am i a pox carrier?

(10 Posts)
vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 17-Jul-08 12:31:27

can anyone tell me?
i've had chicken pox as a child - so am hopefully immune BUT am i still carrying the virus? having read up on it the virus is spread via saliva and snot so coughs and sneezes{spread diseases}.

Niecie Thu 17-Jul-08 12:35:13

I don't think so. If you were then the offical advice would be for anybody in contact with chickenpox to remain in quarantine and to my knowledge there is no offical advice along those lines.

singyswife Thu 17-Jul-08 12:36:37

What makes you think that you are??? All children get cp, it's part of growing up.

Twiglett Thu 17-Jul-08 12:38:15

the only way someone who is immune to cp can pass it on is if they develop shingles, scratch the shingles and pass the pus on to the child

singyswife Thu 17-Jul-08 12:45:51

Yyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk. I have been put off my lunch!!!!!!

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 17-Jul-08 15:06:36

i'm not worried that i am singyswife
it's just that my best mate is down with her young baby visiting her mum - she doesn't want teething baby to catch it & i'm desperate to visit on my own to see baby but don't want to take her the pox!

i'm a childminder and according to my guidelines and policies only a child with the rash should be excluded from childcare settings - family contacts shouldn't be excluded although you are contagious a few days before spots appear - it can take 3 weeks for chicken pox to develop.

i think i'll just have to miss out on the visit to my friend - i'm really upset as i don't get to see her often sad

singyswife Fri 18-Jul-08 09:43:31

TBH I would think yuo are fine to go visit. Personally I would leave dc at home and go visit, you sho uld he ok.

McDreamy Fri 18-Jul-08 09:45:38

You can't pass cp onto someone simply because you have been in contact with an infectious person. You need to be developing it yourself and if you have had it already you won't be developing it as you should be immune. Hope that makes sense!!!

singyswife Fri 18-Jul-08 09:47:49

A good idea might be to phone the pharmasist, she will be able to tell you if you are ok to visit baby or not. I hope you are I love babies and I would hate to miss out.

asteamedpoater Fri 18-Jul-08 10:06:13

If your friend is worried about an adult who has already had chickenpox and should therefore have good immunity against getting it again, giving her child chickenpox then she is paranoid.

Chickenpox is always in the community - her child could get it any time, including at inconvenient times, such as when she is teething. Her chances of actually catching it off you are tiny, because your chances of getting chickenpox more than once are tiny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now