Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Taken up running - now got very bruised legs - is this normal?

(5 Posts)
LivingLaVidaLurker2 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:26:09

I have been running around three times a week for the last six weeks and have gradually built up a walk/run schedule and can now run for 25 minutes. Which is grear...but, I have developed very large bruises on the backs of both my calves. They don't feel sore (well, no more than normal bruises), but are very large and black.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it just my poor body adapting to the new regime after a lifetime of lethargy?

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:43:50

bump

(Oh and when I say 'running' it's more of a slow jog.)

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:55:12

this happened to me when i started a new job - lots of running up and down stairs all day lol... it only lasted a week or two and went, no other effects. i think the bruises were just caused by gravity iyswim, although that sounds barking - just pressure in an area where there wasn't usually. hopefully the blood vessels in your legs will dilate a little to deal with the extra flow... but i would go easy for a few days until it subsides a bit - don't overdo this new fitness thing!

LivingLaVidaLurker2 Thu 17-Jul-08 13:30:49

Thanks Romy7 - it's good to hear that it's normalish. Good excuse to have a rest too!

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 16:43:28

i've been planning on starting running again too - well done you for actually doing it - i seem to be putting it off and off when i know it would make me feel a mile better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now