Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am having a tooth extracted this morning. How bad? Please be honest with me.

(37 Posts)
Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 09:26:46

What should I expect?

OverMyDeadBody Thu 17-Jul-08 09:28:02

locla anasthetic. It won't hurt (much).

Until a few hours later that is. Make sure you have painkillers to take afterwards.

Tutter Thu 17-Jul-08 09:28:44

unless it's a wisdom tooth, it'll be done and dusted in seconds

a painkiller or two and you'll be fine

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 09:33:53

Its the pointy tooth, 3rd one in from the flat ones at the front. Kind of a semi-double, but not as big as the one next to it!
I've now got you all pulling funny faces, trying to figure out what the hell I'm on about, feeling around with your tongue.grin
Should I take some Ibuprofen before I leave?

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 09:43:46

I took some.
One last scrub around and I am off.
Fingers crossed.

OverMyDeadBody Thu 17-Jul-08 09:46:31

good luck

Ripeberry Thu 17-Jul-08 11:23:55

Good luck! I've come back from having a back tooth removed because it had cracked around the filling.
The dentist tried to save it, but the crack went all the way down the root!
So he had to extract it and break it into 3 pieces (it had 3 roots).
Took almost half an hour of tugging and pulling and cracking (sorry if tmi) and afterwards they said i may have a bit of shock.
Thought i was ok, but then started to get the shakes so they made me lie down and gave me a glucose drink and i then sat in waiting room for half and hour.
They did this as i had to drive home.
The bleeding stopped quite fast but he said some bits of bone might come out (yuck!)
As i'm typing this i can feel things shifting and the pain is starting properly.
Just dont want to sleep tonight as i'm worried about losing the clot and getting "dry socket" which can be worse than toothache.
Can't even face eating anything either, can't have a drink tonight, so got myself a good book to cheer myself up sad.
Hope yours went ok, at least there is only one root!

Bramshott Thu 17-Jul-08 11:27:25

If you have one out, what do you have in it's place? It's looking like I will have to have a tooth out, and I am really not keen on having a denture type thingy!

Ripeberry Thu 17-Jul-08 11:36:00

My dentist is private (no NHS dentist round here) and he said that if i wanted an implant it would cost £2,500! and a bridge would be £600 but it would mean drilling into the teeth on either side.
He said its best to live with the gap as its quite far back in my mouth and can't be seen.
So different to 10 years ago.
A similar thing happened on the other side of my mouth and my then NHS dentist only charged me £100.

HereComeTheGirls Thu 17-Jul-08 11:37:46

Wish I hadn't read this thread...am going to dentist about a possibly cracked back tooth this afternoon!

That does sound like an ordeal Ripeberry, hope you enjoy your book and can take some decent painkillers!!

Ripeberry Thu 17-Jul-08 11:40:35

Sorry to frighten you. Lets hope that they can save the tooth.
The extraction itself was totally painless it's just really starting to hurt now sad

HereComeTheGirls Thu 17-Jul-08 11:42:17

Ah its OK, I work for a dentist so pretty much know the score with teeth smile

Have you got some painkillers?

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:42:34

ripeberry, similar here - except the dentist gave up after half an hour of root cracking(seriously) and gave me a prescription for anti-b's to hold off infection and told me they'd refer me to get the rest of it)taken out under general in 3 days time. i got a private appointment the following day and a second dentist fished the rest out under a local. he couldn't believe i was so bloody minded, but i had no intention of waiting another 3 days for the privilege of a GA. bruising everywhere and it bled on and off for a week. keep taking the painkillers and go to bed - i spent 3 days in bed as i literally couldn't function. feel for you and enjoy your book! extremely soggy pasta worked well here...

nb - glad the OP has gone! didn't want to post this earlier! wink

HereComeTheGirls Thu 17-Jul-08 11:45:12

Romy - I see you missed my post about going to the dentist this afternoon then grin

Just kidding, I have heard all manner of yelling from the dentists surgery so nothing fazes me really! (also glad OP had gone!)

Pavlovthecat Thu 17-Jul-08 11:48:09

Even my wisdom teeth were done in seconds. Pop and out they came.

the first time, no prep, I went in as an emergency as it hurt a lot, he said that needs to come out, and the next thing I know, I was standing out front calling DH to come and pick me up!

The second time, it was planned, two days notice! My other wisdom tooth, it was loosened a bit first, and then out it poppep, and they both healed quickly.

Local anaesthetic both times, and no problems at all.

Good luck, remember the build up to it, and the anxiety is usually worse than the actual event, so just try to stay calm, breathe and remember it will be over in seconds.

Pavlovthecat Thu 17-Jul-08 11:49:36

Oh I see you probably have already been!
How did it go?

Romy7 Thu 17-Jul-08 12:09:06

blush oops. sorry!

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 12:35:03

You bloody, bloody liars!

It took ages and ages and that wasn't my frightenned imagination running away with me, that was 20 mins at least of pull, break, mop up, pull, break SQUIRT SQUIRT!

Not only do I now look like Elvis with my lopsided mouth, I also look like a vampire with the constant trickle of blood down face.

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 12:38:47

Oh, and it hurts already, so do top teeth as they were bashed so many times during the activities.

HereComeTheGirls Thu 17-Jul-08 12:41:21

Goober - sorry you had a rough time. It really is hard to predict how difficult an extraction will be. Best not to know beforehand I think!! Hope you have some nice painkillers and can take it easy for a bit smile

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 12:52:01

Ibuprofen and paracetamol.

Now, lunch...... Hmmmm....... I think I'll have.........blood.

HereComeTheGirls Thu 17-Jul-08 13:09:59

Maybe you could have some tomato soup? Or a Bloody Mary? grin ~tumbleweed~

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 13:17:50

I'm struggling through a bowl of Readybrek.
So glad the kids are at school, they'd piss themselves if they could see me. I'm using one of the old plastic spoons from when they were little as I'm so swollen and can't open mouth too well.

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 13:26:55

FFS it is going everywhere.
Have no controll over mouth at all.

PaulineMole1 Thu 17-Jul-08 13:31:11

You are all scaring me My ds (10) is having two back (BABY) teeth out on Monday am terrified it's all going to go wrong .

Goober hope you feel better soon ,when I had mine out semolina was good to eat .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now