Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High temp sore throat and vomiting :(

(9 Posts)
alibobins Thu 17-Jul-08 09:25:50

Ds is quite poorly went to the gp yesterday with temp of 39.9 and she prescribed antibiotics and said he had an infection of some sortsad
Last night he was still burning up despite calpol and nurofen and was sick cos he was so hot.
This morning his temperature is hovering above 38 with meds still high 39 withoutsad
Would you go back to see gp or give the antibiotics chance to work.

Piffle Thu 17-Jul-08 09:31:00

will take 24-48 hrs for antibiotics to work, that's assuming it is not a virus. My dd is 5 and suffers like this with tonsilitis 3-5x a year. Antibiotics rarely work but she rests takes regular pain relief and drinks water,odd nibble maybe yoghurt or banana etc she takes 7-10days to get overit
Tis yucky get well soon fx

alibobins Thu 17-Jul-08 10:29:03

poor ds sad he hasn't really eaten anything but is having little sips of watersad

Tiggiwinkle Thu 17-Jul-08 10:48:33

Scarlet fever can give a really high temp with sore throat and vomiting. Keep an eye out for a fine sandpapery rash and white tongue.

alibobins Thu 17-Jul-08 14:49:08

Does the rash appear straight away?

Tiggiwinkle Thu 17-Jul-08 15:39:30

No, usually a few days after the onset of the sore throat.

alibobins Thu 17-Jul-08 22:16:32

Getting a bit worried now ds hasn't eaten a thing todaysad not really drinking and i've only seen him go to the toilet once.
I'm going to get an emergency appointment with gpsad
He keeps saying his mouth is sore I have looked but can't see anythingsad I have even tried him with ice lollies.

Tiggiwinkle Fri 18-Jul-08 09:04:39

How is he today Alibobins?

Have you managed to get him seen?

alibobins Fri 18-Jul-08 12:47:28

He's got strep throatsad and ulcers on his tonsils and down the back of his throat.
Can't do anything else for himsad
Should take no more than a week to improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now