Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to lower dd's temperature?

(17 Posts)
tammybear Sat 05-Feb-05 17:21:22

dd has a warm temperature. tried using koolin soothe things but she doesnt like them on her head, so wat else can i do? thanks

Socci Sat 05-Feb-05 17:22:16

Message withdrawn

Clayhead Sat 05-Feb-05 17:24:35

lukewarm baths, strip her right off, paracetamol, cool flannel to the head

foxinsocks Sat 05-Feb-05 17:25:55

if luke warm water thing (sponging) doesn't work, then baby nurofen is the best for lowering temps (if over 6 months)

WideWebWitch Sat 05-Feb-05 17:26:54

Clayhead's right, not a cold bath, must be lukewarm/tepid water. You could sponge her down if she/you can't face a bath. And paracetamol/Calpol to bring her temp down.

WideWebWitch Sat 05-Feb-05 17:27:16

How old's she though and how hot?

tammybear Sat 05-Feb-05 17:27:37

given her capol but doesnt seem to do much, only other things ive got are medised (or something like that) and tixylix. Cant find a temperature thing but she is quite warm. Looks very tired, but still seems to be herself, just run down. shes 2 btw

golds Sat 05-Feb-05 17:29:00

IMO I don't bother with Calpol, go straight for the Nurofen

Lonelymum Sat 05-Feb-05 17:29:05

I have been told many times by doctors that Calpol (or paracetamol based medicines) are better at reducing temperature than Nurofen (or Ibuprofen based medicines) HTH

tammybear Sat 05-Feb-05 17:33:17

just found one. its 39.5, thats not good is it? i did it under her arm

Lonelymum Sat 05-Feb-05 17:34:40

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Sat 05-Feb-05 17:35:03

I've been told nurofen is better! I think it depends on the child. Both mine react better to nurofen when they have high temps - calpol does nothing for them but with some children, I'm sure it's different.

I think the difference is that a full dose of nurofen lasts 8 hours so it's often better to give before they go to sleep.

If you only have calpol and can't get nurofen I wouldn't worry. Just give her a luke warm sponge, give her the calpol before she goes to sleep and hopefully she'll sleep it off.

mishi1977 Sat 05-Feb-05 17:35:50

hi give ur daughter calpol 4 times a day 10mls and nurofen 3 times a day at 5mls...the nurofen is the miracle worker for temps...my DS had one of 40.9 at xmas and that is what the gp told me to give him

mishi1977 Sat 05-Feb-05 17:37:42

btw medised is similair to calpol so dont give at same time as they both contain paracetamol...also obviously keeping her stripped down andi tend to wipe ds down with baby wipes

tammybear Sat 05-Feb-05 17:39:05

oh yeah that was my other ques, should i keep her cool too? she has a cold as it is so has been bundled up in layers, but at the moment shes just in her pjs, where as usually she has a dressing gown on too

misdee Sat 05-Feb-05 17:40:47

keep her cool.

tammybear Sat 05-Feb-05 17:44:50

thanks everyone. will give dd a bath in a bit, and hope it makes her feel a bit better. shes watching tweenies at the moment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now