Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had a stomach ulcer? And if the treatment is proton pump inhibitors, why can't I have them now grrr?

(14 Posts)
oi Wed 16-Jul-08 21:42:48

so I may have an ulcer. I have a problem with reflux (life long I think... complicated by a v nasty bout of bacterial dyssentry 15 yrs ago which totally screwed up my digestive system) and around 3 months ago went on a 1 month course of 20mg omeprazole with the understanding that if the reflux came back after that course, I would have to have an endoscopy before they'd give me any more (h pylori test negative).

So I haven't been back to the doctor but had brief chat on the phone. The reflux is back, far worse, I am waking up hoarse from it and this time (for the first time) I have that gnawing pain in between my rib cages (when my tummy is empty, then I eat, it relieves it for about 30 mins then the pain is back) but they won't prescribe me anything. I have to go in to see the GP and they will place me on a waiting list for an endoscopy but they don't know how long the waiting list will be (likely to be something around 3-6 months it seems?). I know I have to be off the omeprazole for a period before the scan but surely they can give me something now (maybe they will say something different when I go in)?

oi Wed 16-Jul-08 21:46:55

Boco Wed 16-Jul-08 21:54:11

Hello, I can tell who you are from your 'grrr' not just your nasty reflux! Sorry as you know I have no idea about any of this but hope you get some answers, sounds awful and must be a real strain having so much discomfort all the time. Sounds like you need to get onto that waiting list asap.

oi Wed 16-Jul-08 21:57:45

yes it's me. I was mucking around with names on Saturday and can't be arsed to change back to foxinsocks now (too many foxes!). How is dd?

Boco Wed 16-Jul-08 22:00:39

Still wheezing away but pretty happy in herself and sleeping well atm. Just hoping she's alright for camping. Am surrounded by random piles of things, not organised enough for this tent lark.

You need to get back to the doctor and demand more DRUGS lady!

artichokes Wed 16-Jul-08 22:00:58

poor you
i don't know much to help because my symptoms have always been sorted by omeprazole thank god.
had they denied me access to my prescription i would have killed them!

oi Wed 16-Jul-08 22:04:00

it's family planning clinic on Monday night so I will go and demand meds if I haven't crumbled from the pain by then. I can get 10mg omeprazole over the counter so I'll get that tomorrow but it won't touch it grr (because it's bad at the moment). Stupid stomach. This is my fault too. Remember when I was getting all those migraines and the doctor thought it couldn't be a migraine because one of the migraine pills they prescribed didn't work? Well I took loads of nurofen for a week monthly (probably over the course of 2 years before they referred me to the gynae for menstrual migraines and he solved the problem) and I think it's eaten a hole in my stomach.

Glad dd is surviving. I hope she doesn't get any worse. Have you got stuff you can take with you?

oi Wed 16-Jul-08 22:04:42

thanks artichokes. Yes, that's how I feel. Quite murderous!

artichokes Wed 16-Jul-08 22:07:26

my pre-ulcer is also due to nurofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. i broke my ankle and waited 10 days for an op. bloody hopsital kept me on nil-by-mouth for all that time but still gave me the pain killers every four hours. within a week my stomach was shot to bits.

hope you feel better soon.

Boco Wed 16-Jul-08 22:08:12

That seems like a long way off to wait until Monday night - go tomorrow! I'm more of a wimp than you though so I'd have crumpled long ago.

Yes, got steroid inhaler and reliever inhaler for dd. I'm sure there's a medical place on site if it gets bad too.

Artichokes seems like a very apt name for someone with a tummy ache. Glad yours is better though.

oi Wed 16-Jul-08 22:08:35

thanks. Cor it doesn't take long for it to bugger up the stomach does it.

Is yours better now?

oi Wed 16-Jul-08 22:09:43

hope you survive boco and get to enjoy it. You're getting quite good at this inhaler malarky now . Poor dd. Are they going to refer her to a paed? It seems as though her asthma is quite bad.

artichokes Wed 16-Jul-08 22:11:53

yes omeprazole sorted me out (touch wood) and although i have had recurrences omprazole has worked each time. i love the stuff. i keep a secret stash just in case blush.

you are brave to consider waiting to Monday. can you double up on the over the counter dosage?

Boco Wed 16-Jul-08 22:12:54

Dunno because my dr was away this time so had to see another one (our old dr, that one who I called a tit staring pervert to his wife by accident because I had no idea it was his wife) , and he prescribed the steroid one, and just said that it would need to be reviewed by own GP so to come back again then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now