Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! My 8 week old has cold!

(7 Posts)
Charsis Wed 16-Jul-08 18:39:27

Any advice? Reading the Internet has scared me. Keep finding pages that say if baby younger than 3 months I should go to the GP immediately. She just has a runny nose, no fever. What should I do?

bubblagirl Wed 16-Jul-08 18:46:01

prop head of mattress up my ds seemed to alway have a cold from the day he was born

keep head of mattress propped up room ventilated nicely to help relieve congestion

if worsens with temp or sicknes then straight to gp but runny nose i never ran to gp for

kittywise Wed 16-Jul-08 18:46:04

Most of mine (6 altogether) had their first cold within a week of being born. It's a pain, makes feeding a bit tricky. I found propping them up on pillows next to me at night was the only way they could breathe and either of us get any sleep. Try saline drops to help clear the nose.

I'm afraid colds aren't fussy! Don't worry though.

MindingMum Wed 16-Jul-08 19:18:49

I used to put a tiny amount of baby vapour rub on my chest (avoid boobs) so that they could breath while feeding - worked brilliantly

MrsTiddles Wed 16-Jul-08 20:07:21

and if you have a humidifyer for babies I would use that - our DS had a terrible flu at the same age (during the winter) and it was the only thing that eased his breathing (that and sleeping upright on our chests)

Charsis Wed 16-Jul-08 20:17:16

Thanks, I'm trying not to worry and bracing myself for a restless night!

MrsTiddles Wed 16-Jul-08 20:21:35

I would speak to your GP if you can, Calpol for babies is from 2 months and if your baby isn't too little (in terms of weight) they may recommend you give minimum dosage. They did with us and our DS was average weight and it definitely helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now