Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Fat feet - cant get shoes on. HELP!!! Is it fluid retention?

(14 Posts)
bunny2 Sat 05-Feb-05 12:06:43

Im going to a black tie do next week and have just tried to get my shoes on - my feet wont squeeze into any of them. Is this common after having a baby (dd is 10 wks old)? Is it fluid retention? If so, can I get rid of it in one week?

maretta Sat 05-Feb-05 12:08:41

It's very common after having a baby. I know some doctors will give you tablets for it but others can be a bit funny about perscribing them. Might be worth a go?

bunny2 Sat 05-Feb-05 12:12:17

really? I need a prescription? Hope my gp is understanding. Are there oner the counter remedies worth trying?

misdee Sat 05-Feb-05 13:20:45

sit with your feet higher than your heart. at night have pillows under your feet so they are raised.

biglips Sun 06-Feb-05 11:24:01

and leave it up for half an hour or more.

tangerinecath Sun 06-Feb-05 12:01:55

bunny, if you're bf then I wouldn't have thought you could take anything. If not, then perhaps your gp could prescribe diuretics? Drinking loads of water is supposed to help (sounds mad I know!). This may sound flippant, and I don't really mean it to, but couldn't you buy some bigger shoes? I spent weeks in Jesus sandals when dd was born as my feet were as wide as they were long and nothing else fitted!

lapsedgymjunkie Sun 06-Feb-05 12:09:47

Bunny2

How do you feel apart from the feet ?

lapsedgymjunkie Sun 06-Feb-05 12:12:53

That is a serious question can you just have a think about the rest of you so to speak

ernest Mon 07-Feb-05 11:22:50

it may be permanent. My feet have grown eash prenancy. I was size 5 and am now size 7 very embarrassing when to to in-laws 0- I have bigger feet than his dad now & mil is just size 2 or 3 - my shoes look so huge next to hers. the shame

Sponge Mon 07-Feb-05 12:24:29

Me too ernest. Some shoes from pre-dd I can no longer get on.
The good news is they don't get successively bigger with each pregnancy.

ernest Mon 07-Feb-05 13:17:31

mine did, def. gone up steadily. another reason not to have any more. i'm gonna look lie a clown b4 my child bearing years are over lol

Twiglett Mon 07-Feb-05 13:18:38

drinks lots and lots of water to help flush it through

try nettle tea

lie with feet above head

HTH

bunny2 Mon 07-Feb-05 13:40:11

Im trying dandelion tea and loads of water - boring but it might help. how long does a diuretic take to start working?

LGJ, I feel absolutely fine apart from fat feet and fingers so I dont think it is anything sinister. I think it might be fat not fluid anyway - I am already a size 7 shoe, if I go up more sizes, Ill be in mens shoes! Why do feet get bigger after having a baby? It doesnt make sense but I am sure mine are - looking at some of the shoes I used to wear, there is no way I'd get my feet near them now.

bunny2 Mon 07-Feb-05 13:41:18

tangerinecath, did you ever get back into normal shoes?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: