Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Travelling and possible chicken pox

(6 Posts)
roseability Wed 16-Jul-08 13:45:28

My son was exposed to Chicken Pox 10 days ago (by a toddler at the vety infectious stage). We are supposed to be going on holiday tomorrow. Train to London, staying with my SIL (who has 2 LOs) for a couple of days and then train though to France for a week. My DS definately has something but no definate Chicken Pox spots. He had a rash on his tummy which has now gone completely, and has had loose foul smelling stools. He is okay in himself, just more tired and more grouchy at times. This morning he has a few red blotches on his back and one on face. Just don't know what to do. I definately won't subject him to long journey if he is poorly. But if he is okay in himself should I still go? We have the option of staying in a hotel and thus avoiding direct contact with my SIL's Los. Obviously I would hate anyone on the train(s) to catch it who might be immuno-compromised or pregnant. Argh! I have been looking forward to this for a whole year and will be very down if we have to cancel (although my DS comes first).

ftg Wed 16-Jul-08 13:53:31

Hello, I am at home with DS who has chickenpox. His spots came up Mon pm and by Tues pm were blistering and bursting which is a sure sign of cp. We went to dr yesterday and she said if they blister then def cp otherwise could be something. So is your DS's spots blistering. NHS direct has some useful info on line as well. Not sure how long it stays dorment but I know that they are contageous from 2 days before the spots arrive.

Could you get in to see dr this afternoon for advice?

rebelmum1 Wed 16-Jul-08 13:54:26

I know a doctor who took her kids to a conference abroad and they both had chicken pox, I think they passed it on to everyone they met. I think its up to you.

ftg Wed 16-Jul-08 14:01:52

Difficult call isn't it. My DS has probably infected a load of kids at a party sunday but I didn't recognise any symptons. He didn't want food and had a nasty nappy but that could have been anything. Then slight temp that night and the spots appeared mon pm.

Its been really quick for my DS literally a couple of minor symptoms sun and then bang within 2 days spots everywhere. The spots are all quite small and blistering within 12ish hours. I guess it probably comes down to whether your happy taking the risk. Might be worth seeing how he is in the morning if its anything like my DS it'll be very apparent within 24 hours, not sure if all kids react in the way my DS has though my first experience of cp other than when I was a kid.

roseability Wed 16-Jul-08 14:41:37

I think we will just pack and carry on as normal and see what happens between now and tomorrow morning! If still no definate signs and he is well enough, we will just go for it. We will just try as much as possible to keep him from other people on the train. We are travelling with ILs, so plenty of hands to help. If he is poorly during the night and starts to demonstrate definate symptoms we might have to cancel. Fingers crossed for us everyone!

Minniethemoocher Wed 16-Jul-08 16:22:21

Chickenpox is highly contagious and dangerous to catch if you are pregnant (like me!) so I am not sure how effective "keeping him away" from people would be on a crowded train....

The incubation period can be up to 20 days and your son will be contagious until the spots come out and remain contagious until the spots dry up.

I know about this from panicky experience!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now