Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am in pain and don't like the idea of apracetomol for days on end. What is the limit for taking them?

(11 Posts)
itati Wed 16-Jul-08 11:38:15

I am assuming the pain in my fingers, wrist and arm is the same as I had at Easter - nerve damage. I couldn't get anything at Boots as I have asthma and I can't get a GP appt for ages and ages. Tried wearing a splint this morning but it makes it very difficult to do anything and doesn't help that much. I also have pain in my left leg and it feels like it is in the bone.

nailpolish Wed 16-Jul-08 11:39:26

some people take them long term

charitygirl Wed 16-Jul-08 11:46:49

why don't you want to take them? they are not addictive. Think the daily dose is two every four hours max.

nailpolish Wed 16-Jul-08 11:47:40

you can take 2 every 4 hours - but max of 8 in 24 hrs

so its better to try to take them every 6 hrs

rebelmum1 Wed 16-Jul-08 11:48:37

I'd get some accupuncture

itati Wed 16-Jul-08 11:54:41

I just don't think it can be right to take paracetool for days and days on end. Surely it is only masking the problem?

nailpolish Wed 16-Jul-08 12:09:07

yes it masking the problem
but sometimes the problem cant be solved

itati Wed 16-Jul-08 12:13:16

Am I always going to be prone to this in my arm then? And what about my leg?

pigleto Wed 16-Jul-08 12:18:27

I have been taking paracetemol daily for four months. It has far fewer side effects than alternative pain medication and doesn't do you any harm if you don't overdose.

If you have nerve damage the only remedy is rest or sometimes surgery, many people just have to get used to chronic pain. If you won't wear your splint because it is unconvenient the pain can't be very bad. Just take the paracetemol until you can see your doctor.

itati Wed 16-Jul-08 12:40:52

The pain is bad, but I have things I have to do and it is stopping me from doing them.

ThingOne Thu 17-Jul-08 00:08:10

In the past 18 months I have been on the max dose of paracetamol for over half the time under medical supervision. It's one of the best painkillers around. I've just come home from hospital after having part of my liver removed (cancer - not paracetamol abuse) and my surgeons had me on paracetamol from the word go! So I reckon it's a pretty safe dose if I'm still OK on the full dose with 3/4 liver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now