Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weird weight loss, any thoughts?

(11 Posts)
wigparty Wed 16-Jul-08 11:13:30

I started taking Prozac around new year and lost about a stone (I think) in the first few months. I can explain this as my appetite fell away so I was definitely eating less.

For about the last 3 months, my appetite has returned and while I'm not eating more than I did usually (pre ADs), I'm eating normally for me again.

I still seem to be losing weight though (or at least not putting it on). I don't weigh myself so am not sure how much, but clothes are getting looser.

I'm pretty active. Don't do gym exercise as such but do a lot of walking (ie. trekking type stuff). I probably drink a little more than is recommended.

I'm not particularly stressed at the moment. Anyone any ideas of what might be behind it? I've no other identifiable symptoms or problems.

DettaJnr Wed 16-Jul-08 18:38:56

I don't know why you should be losing weight. Maybe someone will come along and shed more light on the subject for you.

wigparty Wed 16-Jul-08 19:19:03

Thanks Detta. It's just very odd and there's usually a reason for weight loss isn't there? Am fine in all other respects though.

wigparty Wed 16-Jul-08 23:34:35

bump.

Is it trip to doctor time? I've had EDs of various forms in the past and I've trouble working out what's normal and what isn't any more.

Almost need someone to tell me it's okay to go to GP about this.

OrmIrian Wed 16-Jul-08 23:39:12

I posted something along these lines a few weeks ago and got some very helpful responses. I have now more or less decided that it's down to running a lot more but possibly also that I may have a gluten intolerance that s been giving me nasty bowel problems (that I will not go into right now!). I am going to the GP but mainly to ask for a test to check that it is the case.

wigparty Wed 16-Jul-08 23:45:27

I think I remember that OrmIrian, you did get some helpful suggestions.,

I think what worries me is that I haven't done any more exercise than usual (possibly less actually), and I'm eating more than I was a few months ago. Years back in the midst of EDs, if someone mentioned I'd lost weight, I'd be so proud and happy. No, when it's mentioned, I'm just plain worried as I haven't done anything hmm

Do you think the GP would think I was mad if I turned up about this? She's really lovely, I don't know why I'm so reticent!

wigparty Wed 16-Jul-08 23:47:04

forgot to add that my "bowel movements" are first-class grin. Regular <and all those other things gillian mckeith praises about a good poo>

PollyPentapeptide Wed 16-Jul-08 23:47:06

I also lost weight when on AD's partly because I was so shaky, I think I burned off extra calories. Speak to GP if you are not sure!

brimfull Wed 16-Jul-08 23:57:04

unexplained weight loss is a perfectly legitimate reason to see your GP

solo Thu 17-Jul-08 00:00:25

No, I doubt GP would think you're mad. I lost a stone in two weeks at the beginning of my pg and found out my thyroid was over active. Best to get checked out IME.

wigparty Thu 17-Jul-08 00:01:35

Thanks all. Think I will go and see GP. I just didn't want her to think I was being a time waster, but I'm a little concerned so I'll do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now