Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! My daughter has hemorrhoids

(5 Posts)
Eiza Tue 15-Jul-08 21:04:33

My daughter is four years old and has been suffering from constipation for more than six months now. Medication/diet etc does not work as it is purely psychological. She has horrible looking internal hemorrhoids that come out when she strains. I feel totally helpless as she has not bowel movement for days and she cries all the time. I am afraid of operation, though looks like it is where we are heading towards. I need a miracle cure. Senacod/gylcerin/Lactulose not worked. It has been six days this time and we keep waiting for the poo. Will take her to A&E if nothing happens tonight but I am afraid of making this a bigger and bigger event for her. Any suggestions/alternatives? I bought Movicol today (overpaid doctor away on holiday, GP useless) but am afraid to use it as the package says not suitable for kids under 12.

daffodill6 Tue 15-Jul-08 23:15:21

You could get her to drink some orange/apple juice etc. The poor child is in pain and you are obviously doing your best -
If it was me I would try to introduce some fruit fibre via smoothie drinks -- or nibbling on some raisins, apricots etc.. Toast from wholemeal bread ... but also make sure shes drinking enough water etc

Also try to limit fizzy drinks - I've found they fill them up more

Hope this helps

NigellaTheOriginal Tue 15-Jul-08 23:26:06

there is a paediatric version of movicol - hang on - i'll get the box.....
I'm thinking - you can compare with your version and maybe give a half - ish dose.

It is a 6.9g sachet. Dr said it was o.k to use as much as was necessary to get things moving along,
can give you the rest of the ingredient values if you want.

Poledra Tue 15-Jul-08 23:28:02

There is a Movicol paediatric, which my 4-yo dd gets on prescription - I don't know if you can buy it over the counter.
Also, when dd gets v constipated, we have glycerin suppositories for her which work every time

NigellaTheOriginal Tue 15-Jul-08 23:31:26

o.k am reading the info leaflet. it appears the adult version is 13.8g so this version is half that.
It says a starting dose for children 2-6 is 1 sachet a day

one sachet (6.9g) needs 62.5ml water so if you add double that to the adult sachet then half it it should be the right amount for you DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now