Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

calomine lotion - any good? what other remedies/meds have you used for chicken pox?

(15 Posts)
Tutter Tue 15-Jul-08 16:45:51

ty

whatdayisit Tue 15-Jul-08 16:49:55

They do aqueous cream with calomine, which doesn't dry on the skin, so is supposed to sooth for longer, although TBH, I'm not sure it helped a lot.

My DS's were Ok as long as they couldn't see the spots, so long sleeves and trousers.

Also , they both slept much better after a bath containing a couple of spoonfuls of bicarbonate of soda.

All the best - remember the worst of it only lasts a few days smile

SoupKitchen Tue 15-Jul-08 16:53:38

Piriton syrup, stops the itching altogether.

Seeline Tue 15-Jul-08 16:55:37

Bicarb baths definitly helped my kids. Also, putting some oats into an old pair of tights or something similar and swirling that round in the bath water. Try to keep cool. If really bad try some antihistimine syrup, especially at bedtime because it makes them sleepy as well.

Tutter Tue 15-Jul-08 16:58:19

<<stupid question warning>>

baking powder the same as bicarb, no?

Tutter Tue 15-Jul-08 17:03:02

Tutter Tue 15-Jul-08 17:11:12

<frets that she may cause chemical reaction by using wrong product>

whatdayisit Tue 15-Jul-08 17:11:58

It's not the same Tutter, although it does contain bicarb. No idea if it would do the same job, but I'd try if that was what I had. Sorry.

MatNanPlus Tue 15-Jul-08 17:17:11

Baking Powder is a dry chemical used in cooking, mainly baking. Traditional baking powder was composed of a mixture of tartaric acid and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)

MatNanPlus Tue 15-Jul-08 17:18:07

Tartaric Acid is used in wine making so if it is all I had I would try it.

Tutter Tue 15-Jul-08 17:22:58

thanks

ingredients on this tub = wheat flour, disodium diphosphate, sodium hydrogen carbonate

Tutter Tue 15-Jul-08 17:23:46

ignore me

have found tub of bicarb

rosealbie Tue 15-Jul-08 17:24:40

Bicarb baths, piriton and aloe vera gelee for healing the spots. dd had loads and we covered her in this, kept in the frigde so lovely and cold, and all of her spots seemed to scab and heal very quickly. They are practically gone now.

Aniyan Tue 15-Jul-08 17:28:30

Piriton, porridge oats in the bath (as seeline said, put them in old tights and swirl them around till the water's murky - they really work brilliantly) - also, once they're at the scabby stage, put some salt in the bath water to help with the healing.

hope no-one is suffering too badly smile

bealcain Tue 15-Jul-08 17:35:36

my toddler is just getin over it, with thankfuly not too much fuss. we found that savlon worked really well. he felt like he was getting some attention...having cream put on, but they seem to have crusted over really quick.....could be his body, could be savlon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now