Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bladder or kidney infection. Can you get rid by drinking lots of water?

(11 Posts)
OrmIrian Tue 15-Jul-08 12:11:15

Or does it have to be anti-biotics?

I think I might have one and do not want abs.

CatIsSleepy Tue 15-Jul-08 12:13:25

kidney infections can get horribly painful though-I would go for the drugs personally!

zippitippitoes Tue 15-Jul-08 12:15:19

it is a high risk i would go for abs myself for fear of having a major illness

luckywinner Tue 15-Jul-08 12:17:13

if its painful try drinking barley water as you need to alkalise your wee (its the acid that makes it painful). Drinking loads will dilute the bugs and flush it out but it might reoccur and turn into a kidney infection which is bloody painful. I would go to the doc and give a sample if you can. Poor you. They are horrible.

LaDiDaDi Tue 15-Jul-08 12:18:04

If it is just irritation of your bladder ,ie true cystitis, then just drinking lots of water could well sort it out.

If you have any infection there then you need antibiotics.

It's very difficult to work out if there is infection or just inflammation unless you are obviously very unwell with infection or you have waited 48hours to get a urine culture result back (by which time you may be unwell) so tbh I would always go for antibiotics.

Why do you not want them?

OrmIrian Tue 15-Jul-08 12:18:06

Hmm... maybe. No time to go to the GP or to take time off work atm.

Why can nothing ever be simple? sad

Thanks. I think I knew that really.

noddyholder Tue 15-Jul-08 12:23:16

no

CatIsSleepy Tue 15-Jul-08 12:23:27

is there an out-of-hours doctor's service you can go to?
tbh it is worth catching before it gets nasty as then you would most likely have to take time off anyway
I ended up with a kidney infection after getting cystisis once (didn't get ab's quickly enough as it was the weekend) and it was bloody painful
I wouldn't chance it!

orangina Tue 15-Jul-08 12:30:02

Lots of cranberry juice, you can also buy cranberyy capsules (for bladder health)... also if it is true cystitis, crink lots of water with bicarb of soda (to alkalize again). You should be able to feel if it's working (ie: if it gets more painful, go to GP and get AB's, not worth infection travelling up to kidney, can become VERY painful...)...

OrmIrian Tue 15-Jul-08 12:36:47

I will try the bicarb. I used to get cystitis a lot and it helped with that. Problem is I think I also have a bit of a temperature too.

Maybe try the out of hours surgery.

Thanks again.

orangina Tue 15-Jul-08 12:50:08

(sorry for rubbish typos, just read back now).

Temperature doesn't sound good OrmIrian.... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now