Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I'm a novice runner - how long shall I aim to run for?

(9 Posts)
FeelingDeviant Tue 15-Jul-08 11:36:53

Have been really suffering from insomnia this past week so thought a run might help clear my mind before bedtime.

Never done any running before, so just wanted to know how long for a first time runner - 10 minutes? 30 minutes?

NomDePlume Tue 15-Jul-08 11:38:06

30mins solid running is VERY hard inded.

If you go to the Race For Life website there are a few running plans on there. 3 levels - beginner, medium & advanced.

NomDePlume Tue 15-Jul-08 11:38:38

It is likely to tak eyu weeks to build up to 30mins

NomDePlume Tue 15-Jul-08 11:39:54

sorry for typos

here is the webpage you need to download the PDF plans www.raceforlife.org/healthandtraining/training/

Nagapie Tue 15-Jul-08 11:40:15

10 minutes - walk 1 min, run 1 min, rest day, resume and after every second cycle add on another 2 mins to the time... (hope that makes sense)..

Exercise before bedtime - usually I can't get to sleep if I exercise late at night..

Sugarmagnolia Tue 15-Jul-08 13:12:20

Probably not a good idea to do it too close to bedtime as you are likely to feel quite energised for a while afterwards.

DrNortherner Tue 15-Jul-08 13:13:35

If you've never ran before you will strugle with 10 mins, let alone 30!

Walk 1 minute run 1 minute is a good plan to follow and steadily increase.

Good luck!

ib Tue 15-Jul-08 13:16:15

I started by running for 20 minutes, but interrupting to walk for 1 minute when I needed to (tried to always go longer than the previous day). Once I was on 20 minutes continuous I added 1 minute each time until I was at 30'.

FeelingDeviant Tue 15-Jul-08 13:16:59

Thanks for all the advice. Walking one minute and runnig one min sounds good.

Will probably go for a run before supper then, as opposed to immediately before bedtime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now