Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

B*stard Nit will not bugger off - am at my wits end PLEASE HELP

(8 Posts)
onehackedoffmuma Tue 15-Jul-08 10:47:31

ds has thick curly hair and the poor boy has caught them at nursery AGAIN.
They seem to have come back with avengence this time and I just can't get rid of them.
I have tried all the lotions etc, Nitty Gritty comb....
But they wont go away - does anyone have a last resort before xp takes him to a barbers and has it cut off sad sad

WigWamBam Tue 15-Jul-08 10:54:59

Lots of the lotions don't work because the nits have become immune to them.

Have you tried Hedrin? That works differently and is apparently very effective. Otherwise you're probably stuck with combing with conditioner every two days - even once he is clear, just to keep check on them.

Once he is clear, you can use a repellent spray - Nitty Gritty make one but I'm sure there are others you can buy.

Idobelieveinfairies Tue 15-Jul-08 10:58:56

Ugh! so annoying aren't they, we have an ongoing battle with thm too. The school won't do anythng either. It is so time consuming and i could be spending time with my children and their reading books from school!

I tried lyclear and youngest DD but it didn't do anything.

I have never tried hedrin, that will be next on the list.For now it is combing and combing.

WigWamBam Tue 15-Jul-08 11:02:28

There's not much that the school can do, though, fairies, other than let you know that there is a case of head lice in your child's class so that you can be extra vigilant. They can't treat them, they can't make other parents treat them.

Bring back Nitty Nora, that's what I say ...

StellaDallas Tue 15-Jul-08 11:03:10

I have a solution and I promise it will work. But it is messy.
Work some oil into his hair. Olive, almond, baby oil - it doesn't matter. Make sure his hair is completely coated. Then nit comb it thoroughly, wiping the comb on tissue in between (rather than rinsing it in water). Leave the oil on overnight (cover pillow with a towel) and comb again in the morning. Wash the oil out - the nits will be gone.
Use a Nitty Gritty comb if poss and when you wash his hair, put the shampoo on before you wet it - you will probably need two rounds of shampoo to get the oil out.

Idobelieveinfairies Tue 15-Jul-08 11:06:15

I know-it is a pain though isn't it, bring back the nit nurse indeed i say!

I have 4 at the same primary school, 2 older ones, and then 2 toddlers....so having to check them every night is a complete and utter nightmare and i hate it. Roll on the summer holidays so we can have a bit of a break from it all!

Idobelieveinfairies Tue 15-Jul-08 11:07:14

It's no the getting rid that is the problem..it's the avoiding them in the first place.....they can be clear for a week and thenit all starts again!

onehackedoffmuma Tue 15-Jul-08 11:11:17

I can't bear the thought of having ds' locks cut off - xp did it a few months ago and I cried.

Thanks for all the advice - ill give it all a bash this week and see how we get on.
xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now