Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

6 month old cant poo!!

(14 Posts)
jessicasmummy Fri 04-Feb-05 18:57:18

Not sure what to do with dd.... she is bunged up for a few days andthen has a really solid poo. I just wish i could get her back to her once a day habit... any ideas???

jessicasmummy Fri 04-Feb-05 19:16:51

bump

lunarx Fri 04-Feb-05 19:19:46

have you recently started her on solids?
if she will take it, maybe you can offer her some water..
my little one (now 7.5 months old) was constipated for 2 days when we started him on solids, but our HV told us not to worry unless he goes 3+ days without a good poo...

jessicasmummy Fri 04-Feb-05 19:21:31

she has been on more solids than usual recently, unfortunately she wont take water or seriously diluted juice.... maybe i should try in a bottle rather than cup? all the advice i have been given has been not to give it from a bottle.... any ideas????

lunarx Fri 04-Feb-05 19:52:57

i've been advised not to give juice from a bottle, but i did try to give water from a bottle and he just wouldn't have it. i got the Avent beaker/cup and he seems to like that. - maybe cut back the amount of solids she has at each meal and see if that helps? (i found at one stage in december, i was giving too much solids and not enough milk).. (i would advise giving your HV a call on monday though to ask her opinion too)

jabberwocky Fri 04-Feb-05 19:58:10

We went through this with ds right at this same age after he started solids. After going the route of suppositories & Karo syrup and water, I finally put him on the "P" diet. Prunes, peaches, peas and pears. We did that for a couple of weeks and things sorted themselves out nicely

jessicasmummy Fri 04-Feb-05 20:08:23

is it worth taking her to the docs if things are no better by monday? i cant get her to eat "homemade" food so is on jars.... evil mummy! i thought with giving her more fruit might help, but it seems to be doing the opposite. a friend reccommended 5oz water with 1 scoop of formula in it so it tastes like milk but is mainly liquid.... not sure if that is worth the hassle? i might try water in the bottle to see if that helps

marlou Fri 04-Feb-05 20:32:17

Could try giving lactulose - helps to soften the stool and make it easier to pass. Combine this with extra fluids and fruit etc...

jessicasmummy Fri 04-Feb-05 20:34:08

what is it???? where do i get it???

lunarx Fri 04-Feb-05 20:41:25

i've read in a few places that bananas can be constipating. i remember 'bicycling' my little ones legs when he didn't go for a few days, (i dont know if it helped, but it was worth a try)-

if my little man misses a day now, i puree up some softened prunes with some pear and that usually does the trick.

i would definitely try to get her take some cooled, boiled water tomorrow; if not by bottle, maybe a bit off a spoon...

Spongebob Fri 04-Feb-05 20:41:37

What formula milk are you using?

marj Fri 04-Feb-05 21:10:08

Lactulose is a sweet medicine which helps to soften hard poo making it easier to pass. You can buy it over the counter I think but check with the pharmacist how much you could give.

IlanaK Sat 05-Feb-05 12:04:14

We had this with ds2 at 6 motnhs just after starting him on solids. We cut back on the solids, cut out bananas completely, and added a spoon full of dried apricot puree to his lunch eat day. We also avoided too much stodge (rice). It did work eventually and he is now on a normal diet with no problem.

rosies Sat 05-Feb-05 13:47:02

try massaging the feet, the soft bit between the ball of foot and heel of foot... clockwise direction, starting with left foot.

go up just inside edge of left foot, across the line where the ball ends, over to right foot, follow the line, down just inside edge of foot to where hard bit of heel is, across the line.

start again, do 3 - 4 times... gently on baby, a little firmer as foot gets older...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now