Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

so ive got thr NITTY GRIITY comb but how long til the little farkers have gone???

(23 Posts)
MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:13:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 21:14:21

Message withdrawn

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:16:57

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 21:17:16

Message withdrawn

divastrop Mon 14-Jul-08 21:17:30

i think it took doing mine and dd1's hair every 3 days for 2 weeks before they went.i did it in the bath as it was less messy,but some people dont like the thought of them swimming around them iirc from another threadhmm.

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 21:17:47

Message withdrawn

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:18:37

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:19:15

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 21:22:02

Get yourself a big (pint glass) of water. Rinse your comb in that.

Then you can see how many lice and how many eggs you are getting at the end.

IME you can treat with 3 Nitty Gritty sessions - as long as you are thorough. I can even get away with 3 consecutive nights.

You should always check after 2 weeks though to make sure you have got them all.

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:24:05

Slouchy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:25:23

lol at pubenits

We are going through this too. Its shit. Day 43 and counting... (not really, about 2 weeks but I am still finding the odd squirming bastard on dd1's head)

TotalChaos Mon 14-Jul-08 21:26:43

/hijack what is the nitetiquette on disclosure? do you tell school, friends/neighbours etc to warn them? or just treat and keep stumm.

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:27:32

Slouchy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:28:05

Actually, that would be a genuine purpose for a brazilian. But imagine the conv with (young, pretty, handbag-tanned)therapist...

Therapist chick:So why are you having this done then?Off on holiday, or just fancied a change?
You:No, I just want to avoid pubenits when combgin out my headlice in the bath, like..

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Mon 14-Jul-08 21:29:09

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 21:30:10

Tell school. Tell parenst of DDs close friends (i.e. those parents who you are actually talk to in the playground).

If you don't tell tehm. They won't treat and your child will get them straight back again.

TotalChaos Mon 14-Jul-08 22:01:55

thanks! am a bit unsure about telling school as it will almost certainly get back to neighbours blush

cheesesarnie Mon 14-Jul-08 22:03:56

weve been doing it tonight!i hate nits.dont do in bath.

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:30

TC - they are not allowed to say who inteh class has them - they just put out a letter saying someone has them.

CarGirl Mon 14-Jul-08 22:07:38

I found the easiest way to comb was putting the conditioner onto dry hair and then rinse it off at the end, less messy and don't go prune like from sitting in the bath too long.

TotalChaos Mon 14-Jul-08 22:12:35

the erm short haircut may make it slightly obvious blush. And before I get slated for that, 1, it's a DS, and 2, I was planning on cutting it very short in the near future anyway.

Lionstar Mon 14-Jul-08 22:17:28

My mum (for foster kids - not me!) rinses off the comb in a jar of boiling water. This is enough to make them let go of the comb - otherwise the little feckers can cling on and maybe get re-applied. Doesn't seem to kill the beggars though - I've seen them swimming around said jar, are they made of teflon?

milge Mon 14-Jul-08 22:17:28

Hedrin, then Nitty Gritty every other night for a week, then Hedrin again.
Adults - a full head of highlights kills them off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now