Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is a smear test really nessisary ???

(46 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:11:02

I've had a letter enviting me for a smear test. I am 27 and have never had one done. I would find it extreamly embarassing.blush I just wondered if it was really nessesary. I wasn't young (at all) when I lost my verginity, I've only has one sexual partner(my husband), I don't drink, or smoke and I'm in good health. I'm not high rist at all I don't think.
God, that makes me sound really boaring.grin Anyway, do you think I should go? and if so does it hurt? Thanks.

cornsilk Mon 14-Jul-08 21:12:28

yes you should go. It doesn't hurt.

lou33 Mon 14-Jul-08 21:13:05

yes you should

my mum died from cervical cancer and only had one partner in her life, and she was only 64

it takes 2 mins of discomfort for peace of mind

sorry, it is something i consider to be a very important thing

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 14-Jul-08 21:13:52

Have it done. It doesn't take long and it could detect a life-threatening disease.

Yep it is a little embarassing, but I'm assuming you lost all dignity whilst having your baby??

Pinkveto Mon 14-Jul-08 21:14:46

Yes, you should go, cervical cancer is eminently preventable.

You are not high risk, but that doesn't ever mean no risk.

Even nuns get it occasionally.

It doesn't hurt, remember however embarrassed you are, the nurse/doctor will be totally disinterested in your bits.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 14-Jul-08 21:14:50

Yes, yes, yes.
Very important.

They have change the age / requirements for cervical testing, used to be 19 or one year from having first sexual encounter, I think its 25 or something now, there was an article in Now mag the other week about a girl who is dying from cervical cancer, she is campaigning to bring the age back down, given they thought she was too young (20?) and didn't test her.

MaureenMLove Mon 14-Jul-08 21:15:03

Go. You may be a perfect specimin, but there's always the exception to the rule. I had pre-cancerous cells prior to the age of 27 and I wouldn't have known, had I not had a smear test.

pinkspottywellies Mon 14-Jul-08 21:15:15

Yes definitely go. It's a 2 minute thing and they understand that people will feel uncomfortable. It doesn't hurt.

HumphreyCushioni Mon 14-Jul-08 21:16:24

Yes, go.
It's worth five minutes of your time for the peace of mind.
And no, it doesn't hurt. smile

LIZS Mon 14-Jul-08 21:16:33

You should go. Lower risk factors (and cervical cancer has almost nothing to do with drinking and smoking) doesn't mean no risk sadly. It is very curable if caught early but by the time you'd notice symptoms it could be very advanced. Can you really afford to be so complacent?

It doesn't necessary hurt, uncomfortable and awkward yes but not necessarily painful especially if you have had a baby and certainly not as embarrassing.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 14-Jul-08 21:16:46

- Also, I was 17 when I lost my virginity, only had sex with two male partners, I never drink, never smoked, good health etc, and I've had 3 smear tests in my tender 26 years of age (getting me to go to the dentist in another matter!)

Hathor Mon 14-Jul-08 21:17:04

Please don't be embarrassed about taking care of your own health. I just think, oh well, the nurse will have seen so many women why should I be embarrased, and it is only a few minutes for peace of mind. It really doesn't hurt.

expatinscotland Mon 14-Jul-08 21:17:36

YES!

Cervical cancer is not always caused by HPV. Most cases are, but some are not.

And you can get it from having one partner or even from not having had sex at all.

There is someone on here who recently had a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer and she is in her early 30s.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 14-Jul-08 21:18:48

If you're lucky, you'll get a lollipop afterwards. grin but that could be my health clinic

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:26:31

O.K I'll go, I'll do it for my daughter. I wouldn't want her growing up without a Mummy for somthing that could have been treated. It's been nagging me since it arrived. I'll phone up tomorrow to make an appointment, then I'll have to go.wink

expatinscotland Mon 14-Jul-08 21:27:17

just ask for a female GP or nurse to perform it if you're feeling embarrassed or uncomfortable and let her know it's your first test.

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:29:55

I hope I do get a lollipop, if not I'm sure my DH will treat me to a cake from the bakers down the road.grin

cmotdibbler Mon 14-Jul-08 21:35:21

Yes you do need one.

Smoking is associated with cervical cancer Lizs - the toxins from the smoke are concentrated 1500 times in the vaginal mucosa compared to in the blood and so its a bit like painting toxins directly on the cells.

BitTiredNow Mon 14-Jul-08 21:41:39

yes yes yes - 2 minutes of faff for peace of mind. DO IT

Sidge Mon 14-Jul-08 21:42:44

Yes please go and have one done.

It takes minutes and can save your life.

Please don't be embarrassed, us practice nurses do them all the time and your cervix may as well be your elbow or your ear, it's just another part of the body.

It shouldn't hurt at all, but some women find it uncomfortable especially if they tense up. Tell the nurse you are nervous as it's your first time and she should be even more gentle smile

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:47:01

Thanks Sidge.smile

lizziemun Mon 14-Jul-08 21:49:53

Yes.

Not to frighten you but i have a freind whose wife died of cervical cancer at just 28yrs. She never had any smear test. The cancer was only discovered when she was 8mths pg and unfortunley it was to late to save her. Her daughter was only 8mths when her mum died. So yes please have one.

SqueakyPop Mon 14-Jul-08 21:54:31

The worst part is making the appointment. Once you've done that, it's pretty easy to go and get it over with, and then you are off the hook for three years.

The nurses don't particularly like doing them and they are very sensitive to your feelings.

mummyloveslucy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:56:35

Lizziemum, that's awfull. sad sad I'll DEFINATLY be having mine done. I'd rather be embarrased than dead.

Ambi Mon 14-Jul-08 21:59:44

Go and do it. Of course it's embarrassing but the nurses and doctors who perform these see so many women each week that it's like going to the dentist. It's over in a minute and reassuring that everything is ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now