Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cystitis - ouch!

(11 Posts)
FromGirders Mon 14-Jul-08 20:53:43

Opinions needed please, on whether I really need to take this to the doc or not. Had cystitis since yest morning, very ouchy. Was on phone to mum today, who gave me a long lecture about how I needed to go to the doc and get antib, or it would go into my kidneys and be really serious and even more painful.
The thing is, last time I used ab's (also for cystitis) I got thrush straight aftre and it took me 9 months to get it cleared up. Admittedly this was about 15 years ago, but I haven't used ab's at all since then.
Can i just ignore my cystitis (ok, not actually ignore it, but drink loads, take bicarb and lots of cranberry juice, with some paracetamol thrown in - that's not really ignoring at all I suppose) and rely on my (normally healthy but a bit run down at the mo) body to fight it off itself, or should i be phoning hte gp in the morning?

Othersideofthechannel Mon 14-Jul-08 20:57:24

I would say it depends on how bad it is.
I have successfully flushed it out with antibiotics using the cranberry juice, lots of water and bicarb route.
If you have any bleeding or lots of trouble sleeping, I would say see the GP.

MaureenMLove Mon 14-Jul-08 20:59:07

Have you got those powders to try? I had the most hideous bout of it last summer, to the point that I told dh if it wasn't better on the 3rd day, I'd need to see a doctor. (The powders says, 3 days and then seek medical attention) I woke up on day 3 completely painless and fine.

Othersideofthechannel Mon 14-Jul-08 21:00:22

Yes, those over the counter powders work really well. Much nicer to drink than bicarbonate of soda in water.

cc21 Mon 14-Jul-08 21:01:09

Just monitor it, if it gets worse/blood in urine get antibiotics.

I ignored it once took over counter remedies, ended up with a chronic water-infection and a temp of 102!!! I was so poorly, and it could have been avoided.

FromGirders Mon 14-Jul-08 21:01:55

Which powders are these? I thought they were just bicarb with flavouring in them to make them taste better blush!

MaureenMLove Mon 14-Jul-08 21:05:21

I'm not sure what they're called tbh! I'll have a look, unless someone knows...

MaureenMLove Mon 14-Jul-08 21:09:36

Cymalon is one. Most pharmacists have something though.

FromGirders Mon 14-Jul-08 21:12:20

Thank you. Might try that if it's still bad tomorrow. Will see how tonight goes.
right, off to drink another pint . . .

SubRosa Mon 14-Jul-08 21:24:07

Holland and Barrett do cranberry tablets with vit. c and they get rid of my cystitis really quickly.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.

emma1977 Mon 14-Jul-08 23:14:14

See how you are tomorrow. If still very painful or any blood, then off to the GP.

If you do have to start ABs, then treat yourself for thrush at the beginning and end of your course of treatment and drink a pro-biotic every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now