Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TMI Warning *** I've taken 30ml of Calfig this a.m. and... ***

(24 Posts)
RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 14:57:19

I've had one decent movement just before noon and loads of gas. I've been bound up for weeks and I KNOW there's more there, so what should I do? Take more Calfig or just wait it out?

Thanks in advance.

Egg Mon 14-Jul-08 14:59:29

No experience of calfig but hope it works for you soon. A trip to Mcdonalds normally "gets me going" grin.

RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 15:01:30

Thanks! I haven't tried that. I have tried drinking loads of water (up to 3L per day), eating fruit and more-than-usual veg (still not a whole lot, but I am not a fan), having normocol/fibrogel every day, lots of bran cereal...I am still bf, so this is part of the problem, but fgs it's been going on for far too long.

Egg Mon 14-Jul-08 15:03:21

Bloody hell. Am amazed something hasn't happened! What about dried fruit, or have you tried that too? I used to eat a lot of raisins / dried apricots while bf DS1.

Don't eat bananas. They make it worse.

Oh, also try Flaxseed (Linseed) powder, sprinkled on cereal in the morning.

RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 15:09:48

I haven't tried dried fruit, though DS loves it so we have it around the house. I'll give it a shot. Where can I find flaxseed powder?

The annoying thing is that I've had to run to the loo with each round of gas, and to no avail!

MegSophandEmma Mon 14-Jul-08 15:11:54

Prune juice will get you going I promise!!!!!

Flier Mon 14-Jul-08 15:14:16

poor you sad have you tried tummy massage? starting on rh side, round to top of tummy, and give a little wiggle low down on the left side of your tummy button and then back round again?

Egg Mon 14-Jul-08 15:18:05

Gosh hope you don't have to do any school or nursery runs just incase the urge strikes at the wrong time!

Flaxseed powder from health shops (Holland & Barrett / GNC etc). Mine is by Linusit and is called Organic Linusprout. I used to just put it on my cereal every day but have been a bit slack lately. No probs pooing here though (well not for me, DS1 is another story...).

RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 15:18:34

Tried prune juice, just got gas!

Tummy massage typically also only produces gas...so frustrating!

RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 15:21:21

Oh, good, there's a Holland & Barrett just down the road from work. I'm here all day but I swear I've spent more time in the loo than in my office.

Feels so gross!

Seona1973 Mon 14-Jul-08 16:25:02

eat a hot curry or chilli - that normally gets me moving although it might be a bit stingy wink

TimeForMe Mon 14-Jul-08 17:00:12

I have exactly the same problem. I feel terrible. Tonight I will be taking some of these: www.oxyhealth.co.uk/Store/pc/viewprd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=38 and tomorrow I will feel like a new woman. They are wonderful and I swear by them. A colonic irrigation without the pipe!

RoRoMommy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:36:39

FGS I have been asking about those all over this talkboard for days! Tell me how it goes...and does it say anywhere on the package about using them and breastfeeding? That is my only hesitation...

TimeForMe Tue 15-Jul-08 07:38:10

grin No, no mention of not taking while pregnant or breastfeeding.

Took mine last night and they did the trick. I feel great today!! Flat stomach after 2 weeks of looking and feeling 6 months pregnant!

Also, they don't give you the pain and wind that laxatives do, they just 'work'. They are great! (and I should be on commission!)

RoRoMommy Tue 15-Jul-08 08:28:19

so wait, they don't say ANYTHING about bf or pg? What are the ingredients? I am calling my doctor. That's amazing. Were you up all night long??

TimeForMe Tue 15-Jul-08 11:06:01

No, they don't say a word about pregnancy or breastfeeding.

The main ingredients are Magnesium and citric acid. Other ingredients are magnesium hydroxide, organic gum acacia. Thats it. It's a magnesium compund that it organic.

Nope, i wasn't up all night. I took my capsules at 7pm because I was so uncomfortable and desperate and couldn't wait to get things moving. I was up 'to go' at 12.30am then went again at 6.30am. And i feel wonderful now!

RoRoMommy Tue 15-Jul-08 15:55:25

That is completely amazing. I am going to check those ingredients on line and see if they're compatible...thanks for responding!

RoRoMommy Tue 15-Jul-08 16:01:07

For anyone who is interested...

Magnesium Hydroxide
CASRN: 1309-42-8
For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:
Magnesium hydroxide is acceptable to use during breastfeeding.

Drug Levels:
Maternal Levels. Ten pre-eclamptic mothers were given 4 grams of magnesium sulfate intravenously followed by 1 gram per hour until 24 hours after delivery. Average colostrum magnesium levels at the time of discontinuation of the infusion were 64 mg/L in treated women and 48 mg/L in the controls. By 48 hours after discontinuation, colostrum magnesium levels were only slightly above control values and by 72 hours they were virtually identical to controls.[1] The maternal serum magnesium levels with intravenous magnesium sulfate are much higher than would be expected with magnesium hydroxide orally.

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
Fifty mothers who were in the first day postpartum received 15 mL of either mineral oil or an emulsion of mineral oil and magnesium hydroxide equivalent to 900 mg of magnesium hydroxide, although the exact number who received each product was not stated. Additional doses were given on subsequent days if needed. None of the breastfed infants were noted to have any markedly abnormal stools, but all of the infants also received supplemental feedings.[2]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

AAP Category:
Not listed, but magnesium sulfate is rated as usually compatible with breastfeeding.[3]

Alternate Drugs to Consider:
Bisacodyl, Docusate, Psyllium, Senna

References:
1. Cruikshank DP , Varner MW, Pitkin RM. Breast milk magnesium and calcium concentrations following magnesium sulfate treatment. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1982;143:685-8. PMID: 7091241
2. Baldwin WF. Clinical study of senna administration to nursing mothers. Can Med Assoc J. 1963;89:566-7.
3. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs. The transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk. Pediatrics. 2001;108:776-89. PMID: 11533352

Substance Identification:

Substance Name: Magnesium Hydroxide

CAS Registry Number: 1309-42-8

Drug Class:
Antacids
Cathartics
Gastrointestinal Agents
Magnesium Compounds

Administrative Information:

LactMed Record Number:

Last Revision Date:

Disclaimer: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.

lazymumofteenagesons Tue 15-Jul-08 16:06:26

I take 2 capsules of magnesium citrate every morning and I have been more 'regular' than ever before. I think the 'citrate' just helps your body absorb the magnesium quicker.

RoRoMommy Tue 15-Jul-08 16:08:01

What is the dosage that you took? i.e., how much magnesium did it take to "get things moving"?

lazymumofteenagesons Tue 15-Jul-08 16:14:04

Each capsule is 400mg. The make is Solgar. I only need to take it in the morning but I do know people who take another 2 at night.

lazymumofteenagesons Tue 15-Jul-08 16:15:59

whoops! I read the label wrong. Two tablets provide 400mg.

RoRoMommy Tue 15-Jul-08 16:22:46

wow, that's great. Thanks!

RoRoMommy Tue 15-Jul-08 22:21:52

I just bought my capsules and will report back. Also am going to check with GP just in case...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now