Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

testing for immunity to mmr

(51 Posts)
Beetroot Fri 04-Feb-05 12:54:31

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Fri 04-Feb-05 18:01:07

Message withdrawn

kazza3 Fri 04-Feb-05 18:07:35

It's best that they have th MMR cos if they dont the consequences are far worse than the side effects g. blindness, deafness and even death. Single MMR jabs are not a good idea because they are not made in this country and are now obtained from 3rd world countries who do not have the same standards of hygiene etc as us. That is probably why your doc isn't as keen

Laylasmum Fri 04-Feb-05 18:08:25

don't know the particulars but you won't be able to get it done on the NHS. I'm sure if you clicked on one of the links on google for private clinics that do single jabs they would give you more info!!

Beetroot Fri 04-Feb-05 18:11:06

Message withdrawn

squidgey Fri 04-Feb-05 18:15:12

Hi Beetroot, I arranged for both of my children to have a blood test in the local BUPA hospital for a fee of course.

Beetroot Fri 04-Feb-05 18:16:40

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Fri 04-Feb-05 18:16:55

kazza .. what complete and utter rubbish

Twiglett Fri 04-Feb-05 18:19:12

Beety .. antibody testing at Direct Health for MMR is £113

call any private clinic and they will probably be able to do it

BTW Kazza .. the mumps vaccine currently being imported is made by Merrily Lynch in the USA .. hardly a 3rd world county with lower standards. And the Measles and Rubella vaccinations 2 years ago were made in exactly the same factory as the MMR vaccine

Twiglett Fri 04-Feb-05 18:20:11

that'll be Merryl Lunch (not merrily )

Twiglett Fri 04-Feb-05 18:20:23

oh bugger <snort>

Beetroot Fri 04-Feb-05 18:20:54

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Fri 04-Feb-05 18:21:57

I know .. its a lot .. especially for more than one child

might be cheaper elsewhere

squidgey Fri 04-Feb-05 18:22:30

I think it was about 80 pounds each child in BUPA.

Beetroot Fri 04-Feb-05 18:23:26

Message withdrawn

squidgey Fri 04-Feb-05 18:25:28

No such luck, but we did discover that only 3 out of the 6 vaccines given originally had worked.

Beetroot Fri 04-Feb-05 18:26:17

Message withdrawn

squidgey Fri 04-Feb-05 18:29:34

Don't think I made myself clear.Both my children had one MMR each when small.As a result of the blood tests my ds was immune only to Rubella and my dd to Mumps and Rubella.

Cam Sat 05-Feb-05 15:21:03

So Squidgey, you are saying that neither of your children had gained immunity to measles? What have you done, if anything, about this? I'm very interested in this as I have declined the mmr for dd.

kazza3 Sat 05-Feb-05 18:16:55

Twiglett I work for a charity that councells families with children who have disabilities and are finding it hard to cope in fact I am a mother of an autistic child and I know that the facts that I have said are true as I have checked it out with the charity as well as my sons consultant. I dont know if there is any link and to be honest I dont know if single jabs are any better all I know is that there are now children in childrens wards in my area suffering from the consequences of not having the jab or even having the single jab so b4 you dis people you have to look into thngs properly.

Amanda3266 Sat 05-Feb-05 18:21:38

As others have said BUPA would be a good bet. But definitely shop around to see what the best price is - especially as you need to check more than one child. Hopefully, you'll find both are immune. The second MMR jab is basically a "mop up" to ensure total immunity against all three illnesses. Sometimes (as others have said here) you find they are non-immune to one or other.

donnie Sat 05-Feb-05 18:30:24

the booster is to ensure, as Amanda3266 says, that the MMR is made effective in case it wasn't first time around.I happen to know my dd is immune to measles because she was tested ( long story) so my HV has said we don't have to bother with the booster unless we are very worried about mumos or rubella, which we aren't. (btw we git single jabs for her and not the mmr).You could go to any of the hospitals listed on www.jabs.org.uk beetroot and get an immunity test, I should think the prices will vary.I can't see the NHS forking out to be honest.We went to the Brakespeare hospital in Hemel Hempstead for the jabs and she had her measles immunity test there too.

Twiglett Sat 05-Feb-05 19:56:24

but kazza the 'facts' you posted are untrue

lockets Sat 05-Feb-05 19:58:58

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Sat 05-Feb-05 19:59:26

And I didn't 'dis you' (are you american by any chance?) I merely stated that the a sepvax used in a lot of private clinics is not made in the 3rd world in factories with lower standards of hygiene but either in the same factory as the MMR or in the USA (of course I cannot say that is categorically all vaccines used by private clinics but can state that it is true of a number of clinics I have personally talked to)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now