Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Yet another thread about broken bones!

(8 Posts)
LucyJones Mon 14-Jul-08 07:59:55

What pain relief did you give?
Ds has been given paracetmol for his arm.
We barely slept last night as every time he drifted off to sleep he would wake screaming in pain.
Is this normal? The hospital said he might not even need the paracetemol but it seems he needs more that just that.

belgo Mon 14-Jul-08 08:01:43

I would phone the hospital again and say he's in a lot of pain.

bellavita Mon 14-Jul-08 08:16:48

We had to give DS1 paracetomol (sp) and ibrupofen. To be fair though, he only asked for pain killers the day after he came out of hospital and said he did not need anything after that.

To be on the safe side, I would just give the hospital a ring.

littlepinkpixie Mon 14-Jul-08 08:52:04

He shouldnt be screaming in pain with cast on. Plese phone hospital.

lulalullabye Mon 14-Jul-08 08:54:59

I agree with pixie. If he has a cast on there should be hardly any pain. Is it a half cast with bandage over the top ? Are his fingers swelling ? It may be that he has had some swelling. What did he break ?

Maybe he needs a more supportive cast?

Take him back to A&E.

Sawyer64 Mon 14-Jul-08 08:59:54

How old is he? My DS broke his leg, made a great fuss that evening and throughout the night,he was 2.5 yrs. After that 1st night he was great,had to have cast rechanged 5 times as it kept slipping,and he bottomed shuffled,but was so adaptable.

Same again aged 5 when he broke his wrist,alot of fuss getting used to cast that evening and night,then great afterwards,just think they have to adjust to their limitations,and that in turn appears to be "pain". HTH

Sawyer64 Mon 14-Jul-08 09:06:26

Agree with previous posts though,on a medical viewpoint:

*Check the warmth of his fingers*,that they arent cold.
*Check how pink they are*,shouldn't be white,and when pushed should become pink again quickly.
*Check he can wiggle them ok*,no restrictions etc.
*Check he has no pins and needles*,or sharp pain anywhere.

Obviously the first 24-48 hrs or so there will be swelling which makes the cast tight and uncomfortable,but if all signs above are ok,then the swelling will reduce and make things easier.

If anything changes with signs above,then take him back to A&E/Fracture Clinic asap. HTH

bellavita Mon 14-Jul-08 09:14:14

When you are able, give us an update.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now