Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why do children only throw up in the dead of night?

(28 Posts)
KerryMum Sun 13-Jul-08 23:53:18

genuine question

gigglewitch Sun 13-Jul-08 23:54:33

tis in the Rules Of Childhood

sorry i dont know the real answer, hope someone who does can enlighten us soon wink

ConnorTraceptive Sun 13-Jul-08 23:58:49

It's ALWAYS between 1am and 2am ALWAYS

nancy75 Mon 14-Jul-08 00:00:34

because its much more fun to watch mummy clean it up when she is half asleep!

KerryMum Mon 14-Jul-08 00:01:58

ds1 yesterday early hours.

ds2 went to sleep telling me he had the taste of "throw up" in his mouth sad

I put a big bucket by the side of his bed.

Joolyjoolyjoo Mon 14-Jul-08 00:03:31

Because they are too busy during the day, ensuring that every toy is moved from its assigned place?

ConnorTraceptive Mon 14-Jul-08 00:04:32

Oh and don't put them in your bed whilst you clean up their bed because they'll puke in there too

elmoandella Mon 14-Jul-08 00:08:05

connor.

and then when your take off the mattress protector to replace it and they are still on your bed they puke on the actual mattress!

KerryMum Mon 14-Jul-08 00:09:36

yes. all true sad

elmoandella Mon 14-Jul-08 00:12:17

there you are 2am, hunting for that blow up camping bed coz all the beds in the house are covered in puke!

or putting towels on your mattress which is covered in puke, then a layer of something waterproof, then more towels. then you all climb into the big bed!

and then their sick all over you again. pj's and all gotta be changed this time.

and you say fuck.
sleep on the floor. strip to the pants.

ConnorTraceptive Mon 14-Jul-08 00:18:05

and you have to go downstairs and put a load of washing on because who wants to wake up to a bath tub full of vomit covered bedding.

Oh and for some reason we've only got one set of bedding for our bed so have to use towels/blankets to make up temporary bedding

<note to self go get another set of bedding fgs>

KerryMum Mon 14-Jul-08 00:19:46

I think it was after last bug ran through house that I made point of buying extra duvet covers and sheets.

And you have to throw out the pillows.

all of them in the end.

KerryMum Mon 14-Jul-08 00:20:05

should I even bother going to bed I wonder

elmoandella Mon 14-Jul-08 00:24:16

i don't wash mine in my machine anymore. i take them to my dry cleaners and use there giant ones if its got "bits" in it

gigglewitch Mon 14-Jul-08 01:10:52

oh we should write a book. Why are we all so predictable?
the number of times we've had single and double bedding [with puke] in the washing machine at 3am....
no, don't bother going to bed. stay mn-ing, it's more fun grin

LittleMissTickles Mon 14-Jul-08 01:17:54

Oh no, they also throw up on aeroplanes, ideally longhaul flights, and usually on both parents as THEY do not have full sets of spare clothes in the carry-on...

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 14-Jul-08 09:19:44

sometimes they like to throw up in their sleeping bag while you are camping and in a foreign country. Then just as they are recovering and you are ready to flee the country for the safety of home you find theyve also shared it with your dh.

/shudders

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 14-Jul-08 09:33:03

oh yes I used to try and wash pillows. Learned from that mistake. Straight in the bin now.

My worst night ever was when every single one of us in the house spent the night throwing up. I gave up in the end. Piled up the towels, shut my eyes and waited for morning.

maidamess Mon 14-Jul-08 09:35:08

You forgot throwing up in the car. When you are miles from anywhere on a motorway. or stuck in a huge traffic jam. And its boiling hot.

BettySpaghetti Mon 14-Jul-08 09:39:58

The throwing up in the car only happens if they've recently had something dairy based though (just for maximum aroma unpleasantness) -just after pasta in cheese sauce is a good one, I can tell you from bitter experience that that smells v v v bad

waffletrees Mon 14-Jul-08 10:08:41

My DS2 was once unwell so he came in our bed. At 2am he threw up all over the bed and my hair!! Had to change the bedding and have a shower.

Needless to say DH was as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 14-Jul-08 10:27:57

dd managed to throw up in to dh's underpants once .... while he was wearing them ...

oatcake Mon 14-Jul-08 10:31:39

As an emetophobe (someone who's petrified of vomiting!) I go to bed every night dreading what might be either with myself of ds.

However, I do not remember as a child throwing up at night! I remember on the two occastions I did throw up with a tummy bugs that it was during the day. Or is that just me?

Fimbo Mon 14-Jul-08 10:32:36

My dd (10) never goes to the bathroom, despite it being right next door. She came downstairs (3 floor house) to my room to tell me she was sick, continually throwing up over the stairs, handrail, my door and finally me as she woke me up!

Whereas ds (4) just gets up and trundles off the loo.

Chocolateteapot Mon 14-Jul-08 10:33:47

DS came up to me on Friday evening and said that his tummy hurt, could he have a cuddle. I opened my arms to move in for a huge hug and was met by a torrent of vomit all over me.

This morning I am clearing up the carnage of last night when they were both at it in unison. All I can smell is puke. And am worried now as have a pillow in the washing machine....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now