Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nettle Sting...

(8 Posts)
scrappydappydoo Sun 13-Jul-08 20:11:22

I managed to sting myself this morning on a nettle and its still tingling - is this normal?? I haven't stung myself in years so can't remember blush Should I put anything on it??

AMumInScotland Sun 13-Jul-08 20:16:24

Mine always sting for ages - if you've any antihistamine cream in, then that should help. Or Piriton or hayfever tablets - it's all antihistamines.

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 21:43:13

Take an antihistamine

Or rub it with a doc leaf

Or wee on it!

lucyellensmum Sun 13-Jul-08 21:55:06

apparently the doc leaf thing is an old wives tale, as nettle sting is caused by formic acid and little barbs that break off into your skin. It is probably just your bodies irritation why it is still troubling you. I would take an antihistamine or do what they did in the middle ages and put goose poo on it (apparently this works due to it being alkaline). I only know this because i helped my old supervisor do a school presentation on acids and bases grin.

I've heard piddling on cold sores is meant to be good too.

Emma, i have bloody mossie bites everywhere, antihistamine should work for those shouldnt htey?

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 22:00:29

Yeah, an antihistamine will calm down any type of insect bite.

scrappydappydoo Mon 14-Jul-08 19:54:03

Thanks all - calmed down over night and didn't even have to resort to the goose poo! grin

lucyellensmum Tue 15-Jul-08 16:13:08

emma - this conversation i had with my mother will make you laugh. She suffers terrible with insect bites. I said to her "you should check with your doctor as my hayfever tablets stop bites from itching etc" so she said, "But i don't have hayfever" i said "i know that but...." and before i could go on she said, oh, its OK, i put vinegar on it - PMSL.

But, ANYway, my mum is on cortisone replacement therapy and medication for high BP, would she be able to take anti-histamine safely or should i check with her doctor first?

emma1977 Wed 16-Jul-08 18:23:27

Should be fine despite what she is taking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now