Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wierd thermostat disease?

(14 Posts)
NigellaTheOriginal Sun 13-Jul-08 18:42:10

my normal average temperature is about 37 degrees. can be up to 38 degrees and i still feel fine.
I feel cold alot of the time - for example - lunch out today sitting in the sun shivering with goosepimples. then went for a sleep and woke up boiling hot in a pool of sweat.
This has been going on for a long time.
Is there a disease/illness which can make your inner thermostat go wrong?

themoon66 Sun 13-Jul-08 18:44:18

I'm a bit like that. I'm thinking 'menopause' sad

NigellaTheOriginal Sun 13-Jul-08 18:45:00

surely not - i'm only 32.
and periods all normal too.

plantsitter Sun 13-Jul-08 18:47:31

Think thyroid problems can have that effect.

mousemole Sun 13-Jul-08 18:53:23

check your thyroid -I had the same thing and found I had an underactive thyroid. Alternatively your hormones may be out of wack and blood sugar problems can make you hot/cold. Start with a thyroid test though.

Califrau Sun 13-Jul-08 18:55:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NigellaTheOriginal Sun 13-Jul-08 18:57:55

had thyroid tested a few years ago when i needed an excuse for being fat, depressed, tired and cold. blood test was o.k. is it possible for it to not be any more

NigellaTheOriginal Sun 13-Jul-08 18:58:32

Am a bit hairy - could it be hormonal?

lou031205 Sun 13-Jul-08 19:18:23

I would see your GP - there are a few possibilities, but you should really go and get yourself checked out.

mousemole Sun 13-Jul-08 20:33:20

definitely could be thyroid. Mine went from normal to off the scale underactive in 6 months. Hairy sounds like Polycystic ovaries though. have you put on weight for no reason as well ?

willweeversell Sun 13-Jul-08 22:43:41

Are you on any meds?

NigellaTheOriginal Mon 14-Jul-08 01:26:44

Fatness is just gluttony - have always been prone to fat. not on any meds except hayfever ones.

thumbwitch Mon 14-Jul-08 01:43:03

it is possible for your thyroid function to test in the normal range and for it to still be slightly dysfunctional FOR YOU. Unless you had a thyroid test before you felt the symptoms, you wouldn't know if there had been a change. Go and get your thyroid re-checked, it could have dropped out of normal range by now.

Also, with the hairy thing, it could be another type of hormone imbalance.

Have you had your iron levels checked as well?

luvaduck Mon 14-Jul-08 01:46:29

agree thyroid but there are other things too - go and see Gp and mention night sweats/temp, make sure he/she does some bloods including a test called esr)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now