Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Went swimming on Thursday and since then have had a blocked ear - how do I get rid of it?

(10 Posts)
Jazzicatz Sun 13-Jul-08 17:43:53

Have an interview tomorrow and can only hear in one ear!!!!!!!!!!!

Ecmo Sun 13-Jul-08 17:48:29

ooh I hate that

stand on your head?

fryalot Sun 13-Jul-08 17:50:44

not recommended, but a cotton wool bud often works.

Or you could put some ear drops down - earex or otex or something similar...

lucyellensmum Sun 13-Jul-08 18:06:10

nightmare - you probably need to get them syringed but they wont do it until you have softened the wax with oil or otex. word of warning though, in the meantime the oil or otex can make it worse. It may well settle down by the morning - resist the urge to start prodding around too

lucyellensmum Sun 13-Jul-08 18:07:06

I have to disagree with squonk about the cotton bud, only cos our clinic nurse said no way to buds as they are just the right size to wedge the wax in further.

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 18:15:15

DON'T POKE ANYTHING DOWN YOUR EAR!!

You probably have a blob of wax that has shifted, but your may have infection in the ear canal.

Is your ear painful or discharging? If not, then it is probably wax. Try a few drops of warm olive oil tonight and this morning, but it may not be gone for tomorrow.

kookykid Sun 13-Jul-08 18:19:18

I'd remcommend the warm olive oil too!

Jazzicatz Sun 13-Jul-08 18:20:02

Have tried the olive oil but hasn't worked it is so annoying.

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 18:20:26

I meant tomorrow morning. I doubt you have access to time travel facilities.

snorkle Sun 13-Jul-08 22:29:53

Is it water stuck in it? There's something called 'swim ear' which you can put in if so and it evaporates it - very effective. You have to be sure your ear drum isn't perforated before you use it though.

Or you can try leaning on your side and pulling your ear around - just sometimes that results in a big glob of pool water pouring out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now