Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could I bet diabetic?

(16 Posts)
itati Sun 13-Jul-08 16:43:23

Have been TATT for months now and now have dark wee even tough trying to drink more. Really struggling to lose weight even though I am always on the go and don't eat as much as I used too.

misdee Sun 13-Jul-08 16:45:35

TATT?

i think some pharmacies offer a free test.

itati Sun 13-Jul-08 16:46:05

be not bet!

tired all the time

littlepinkpixie Sun 13-Jul-08 16:47:12

Why not see GP, get the standard TATT bloods done, could be anaemia, thyroid.

milknosugar Sun 13-Jul-08 16:47:18

you need to go to docs and have a fasting glucose test. doesnt take long. make the appointment tomorrow, if you are diabetic you can cause damage to your organs if you dont get it sorted. i thought i might be but turned out not, am now wondering why i still feel rotten (lack of sleep and 4 energetic kids might be something to do with it). good luck

itati Sun 13-Jul-08 16:49:23

I had bloods done a few months ago and they were fine. Can things change that quickly?

bojangles Sun 13-Jul-08 16:57:29

Hi Itati

Type 1 Diabetes sounds unlikely - classic syptoms are drinking lots and weeing lots - also usually lose drastic amount of weight - not certain of the signs for type 2 though but still thought the classic sign was unquenchable thirst. I was drinking 2 litres at a time and lost 1 stone in a week.

McDreamy Sun 13-Jul-08 16:59:55

I think diabetes is unlikely. Easy to get tested though. Many things can cause tiredness. Why not make an appointment to discuss your treatment and see what your GP suggests. Sorry you're feeling this way sad

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 17:01:46

I'd go back and ask for a LFT (Liver function test). Dark urine can be a sign of excess bilirubin from the liver. I'd take a urine sample aswell so they can check it.

Diabetes is an unquenchable thirst and wanting to pee all the time, even at night. Thrush is also an indicator because of the excess sugar, as is TATT.

Things can change very quickly. I hope you are feeling better soon. smile

itati Sun 13-Jul-08 17:06:21

Thanks.

Will a nurse do?

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 17:08:10

No. Go and see a doctor, I don't think a practice nurse can organise the blood tests. I may be wrong though.

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 17:14:36

You need to see a GP, who may need to physically examine you depending on your symptoms.

If someone is TATT, I usually ask for bloods to exclude (as a minimum): Anaemia, diabetes, hypothyroidism, disordered kidney or liver function. Sometimes, I will ask for additional tests based upon the history and any family history.

Take a wee sample as well, as they may want to dip your wee there and then to exclude seriously high sugar levels, ketones or a urine infection.

itati Sun 13-Jul-08 17:16:15

I don't know my family history and find that GPs just assume I won't have anything if I don't know.

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 17:24:12

It doesn't matter too much if you don't know you family history. Its just sometimes, it may guide you to think about some conditions sooner than if there was no family history- if that makes sense!

For example, if someone who was TATT told me that they had a strong FH of Coeliac disease, I may ask for antibodies as part of my initial screening bloods. Whereas, if they didn't know and had no symptoms suggestive of Coeliac, I probably would ask for antibodies in the first instance, but may do later on.

Confused yet??

itati Sun 13-Jul-08 17:26:13

No grin It makes sense not to have the expense of potentially unnecessary tests.

itati Mon 14-Jul-08 10:40:26

Appt booked for tmw and wee bottle got.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now