Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hmm - weird rash all over my DS

(13 Posts)
spicemonster Sun 13-Jul-08 14:14:25

He seems generally fine (although has only slept for 40 mins which is very unusual) but has a series of smaller spots, what look like they might be mozzie bites (but not itchy) and raised weals all over the place.

The pharmacist has given him some piriton liquid but although it's a bit better, he's still spotty. He said that he couldn't rule out chicken pox.

Any ideas what it might be? He had some strawberries yesterday (which he's eaten loads of times before) but has only had milk and shreddies today.

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 14:23:46

Are they little blisters? What colour are they? I'm assuming they are raised. Has he had a temp/illness? Where abouts are they? smile Has he been near anyone with a rash?

spicemonster Sun 13-Jul-08 15:10:08

No blisters, they're red and raised (like mozzie bites) but with quite ill-defined edges, more splodges than spots iyswim. No temp and seems quite perky (except for the weird lack of sleep). They're all over but not on his face. He met a little boy with chicken pox last saturday but they didn't touch or even get particularly close.

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 15:15:51

www.umm.edu/imagepages/1558.htm like this?

spicemonster Sun 13-Jul-08 15:33:21

No, they're not as dark as that. I've just called NHS Direct as he can't use his left leg since he woke up

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 15:53:41

I'd bypass NHS Direct and take him straight to A&E. He should see a paediatrician. The chances are they will tell yo to take him there anyway.

I hope all is OK.

spicemonster Sun 13-Jul-08 16:12:20

They've said to give him calpol and that he probably got his leg stuck between the bars in the cot. But have realised that is very unlikely as he has a cot bumper all the way round and he can't put any weight on his left knee so I'm going to take him in.

Thanks for your help. I'll report back later

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 16:16:30

hmm I wish they wouldn't do things like this. They are not with your child so shouldn't be guessing at what they think is wrong.

A&E's a very good idea. I really hope he's OK.

spicemonster Sun 13-Jul-08 20:30:23

Well, we are finally back from A&E and after xrays and examinations, it turns out he has ... bursitis! shock

Poor thing - he's obviously been in some pain and discomfort though and it's sad because he can't get around but hopefully it will improve as he keeps his weight off it. Very glad indeed I took him in though - they said that it could have been septic arthritis which can affect young children. That NHS Direct woman didn't know what she was talking about

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 20:42:20

Ohh, poor thing sad. I'm so pleased you know what it is. It sounds so painful. Did they tell you what the rash was? Septic arthritis can be nasty for children and they have to spend along time in hospital.

shock AT THE NURSE AT NHS DIRECT!!!!! I remember a thread a few months ago, a mn thought her child had had a fit the night before, NHS Direct told her it was probably a nightmare and not to worry! I told her to see her GP and to phone an ambulance if it happened again. They are not very good at giving advice and shouldn't be making assumptions. That's terrible!

I'm really pleased he's OK. smile

spicemonster Sun 13-Jul-08 20:50:38

I know - imagine being so little and having housemaid's knee already! His career as a sportsman is over before it's even begun.

The rash had pretty much faded by the time anyone took a look at him so they didn't say much about it. I guess it must have been an allergic reaction to something. Very odd.

A fit was a nightmare?! That's dreadful. I had thought that it was NHS Direct who had told me to call an ambulance when my DS had bronchiolitis but actually it was my GP's out of hours service. That is the last time I ring NHS Direct, useless I can cope with but what they said to that other MNer is downright dangerous.

spicemonster Sun 13-Jul-08 21:44:17

Sorry I should have said this earlier but thank you so much for your replies avenanap. You have made me feel like I wasn't being a big fat PFB mother for going with my instincts and taking him to A&E.

Cheers

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 21:49:38

You're welcome. smileHe'll be on the mend soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now