Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Warrning TMI, heavy period, clotts

(15 Posts)
Marne Sun 13-Jul-08 13:23:56

Sorry if this is TMI but i am realy worried and did'nt know who else to ask. I have realy heavy periods, this month even more heavy and today i am passing large clotts of blood (told u TMI), at the moment i am changing pads evry half an hour and each time i go to the loo i am passing another clott.
Should i be worried? What could it be?

eandz Sun 13-Jul-08 13:36:54

miscarriage, endometeriosis... or simply just a heavy pd. call a gp? go to a&e if pain starts?

Marne Sun 13-Jul-08 13:39:15

I think i can rule out miscarriage, this morning the pain was realy bad, almost felt like labour pains, took some pain killers and now i have no pain at all just heavy bleeding sad

eandz Sun 13-Jul-08 13:48:40 a gp! or maybe nhs direct but they'll just tell you to head over to the a&e right?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 13-Jul-08 14:14:00


Would suggest you visit your GP tomorrow and ask for a referral to a gynaecologist.

I would also think endometriosis is a possible cause as this can cause severe pain.

A and E are not the ideal people to see in these circumstances; you need a referral to a gynaecological unit.

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 14:26:20

Fibroids can also cause pain, heavy periods and clotts. I would go and see a gp.

suzywong Sun 13-Jul-08 14:51:02

if you have no fibroids or obvious causes you might like to consider the mirena coil as it can sort out clotting - did the trick for me. Also get your iron level checked as you are probably leeching out a lot of it in all that balckberry jam.
Don't worry, it can be sorted out

bigTillyMint Sun 13-Jul-08 14:52:46

Oh marne, I had this last weekend - it's truly horrid, isn't it.

I rang NHS direct, who contacted out out-of-hours GP who rang me and then faxed a prescription to the chemist for transexcemic acid(?) to stop the flow. I went to see the GP last week and got a special strong version of the pill to avoid a period over our hols, and am (already been looked into) having an op to remove a polyp from my womb in a couple of months.

Definitely go and see your GP, and ring NHS direct / out-of-hours service to sort out immediate problem. <<<<< big hugs>>>>>

avenanap Sun 13-Jul-08 14:55:27

I had a period like this before christmas. It was soo painful, it was just as bad as giving birth. I couldn't move off the loo. I went to see the practice nurse and asked her, she said she didn't know and I should see my GP if it happened again. It was horrid. sad

SubRosa Sun 13-Jul-08 15:11:23

So sorry you are going through this, it's a horrible thing to have to suffer. If your periods are getting heavier, go to your GP and ask for a referral, so you can be scanned. (They can check for fibroids, polyps, etc).

Please don't let your GP put you on the pill/hormone treatment without fully checking you first.

Marne Sun 13-Jul-08 17:28:00

I went to the GP 6 months ago about heavy periods, he tried to put me on the pill, i did'nt want to go on the pill as last time they made me feel ill. He prodded my stomache and said i hav'nt got fibroids. He did tell me to go back (which i will) but im worried he will moan at me for not going on the pill.

emma1977 Sun 13-Jul-08 17:28:38

You need to see your GP tomorrow ideally (if you can wait that long).

You probably need examining and your blood pressure and pulse checking. I would also tend to ask for your haemoglobin levels to be checked, some swabs taken and often ask for an ultrasound scan of your pelvis to exclude fibroids/cysts/thickened womb lining.

You may also be offered something to control the bleeding if it happens in future and referred to gynae if something shows up on your tests which needs action or the bleeding becomes a real nuisance.

SubRosa Sun 13-Jul-08 18:13:15

You shouldn't have to go on the pill. I'm on hormone treatment at the moment and so far it's working wonderfully Even though the GP prodded your stomach he may not be able to feel small fibroids.

Please don't let him dismiss your concerns. (I've posted on a few threads about this, sorry to be 'me me me' but my GP ignored my concerns for 3 yrs and I ended up having major surgery...grrrrr) I don't want anyone else having that sort of hassle angry

Marne Sun 13-Jul-08 19:12:52

Thankyou all for your advice, i cant get to the GP until tuesday, i have a family history of fibroids and other problems, my mum suffered for years and ended up having a hysterectamy (sp) when she was 40. I will be pushing the doctor to reffer me to a gynae.

Im feeling a bit better than i was but feeling drained.

SubRosa Sun 13-Jul-08 19:17:02

Glad you're feeling a bit better, try and take it easy, if that's possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now