Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

constipation in a 1 year old, what could we give her?

(14 Posts)
lovelysongbird Sat 12-Jul-08 22:31:22

any particular fruit or anything?

stitch Sat 12-Jul-08 22:34:04

tea made from fennel seeds.
put some water in a mug, add in half a teaspoon of fennel seeds. stick in the microwave for tw o minutes. let cool.
once cooled, strain off the seeds, and give it to her in a bottle. although best unsweetened, i used to find that adding a bit of sugar meant they actually drank the stuff.

whenolder, i have given phsyilliu m husk swalloed with juice, but a one year old is unlikely to swallow that.

i would stay away from fruit of any sort.

lovelysongbird Sat 12-Jul-08 22:44:44

hi stich,thank you for your post. i dont have any fennel seeds but i can get some tomorrow, is there anything i can use tonight that i have now

TheRealPhartiphukborlz Sat 12-Jul-08 22:49:45

plenty of fluids is good for now, water

gagarin Sat 12-Jul-08 22:52:00

kiwi
ice cream
dried apricots
weetabix

all do the trick here!

lovelysongbird Sat 12-Jul-08 22:54:46

thanks i do have ice cream and water.
poor old dd

gagarin Sun 13-Jul-08 14:11:57

Any luck? Hope so.

Boboma Sun 13-Jul-08 15:08:40

My trick is to freeze an ice tray of prune juice and then put one cube with my dd's porridge every morning. Works brilliantly!

popmum Sun 13-Jul-08 15:11:06

chocolate supposed to or apple juice or syrup of figs?

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 13-Jul-08 15:24:14

Orange juice.

Teuch Sun 13-Jul-08 15:38:26

it depends on whwther this is an ongoing problem or whether your child is very constipated at this moment.

In my experience, giving an already constipated child lots of 'lossening' foods can only result in cramping and discomfort.

Plenty of fluids is good, along with a warm bath, lots of jumping around, 'cycling' or gently pushing the legs into the chest repeatedly, should help move things along.

If very constipated, a large dollop of vaseline can be massaged around the bottom (and kind of encouraged up the entrance a bit!) to literally lubricate the area.

Teuch Sun 13-Jul-08 15:38:48

'loosening'!!

hellish Sun 13-Jul-08 15:41:35

Prunes really work, buy packets from supermarket, soak overnight and puree. (They freeze great in ice cube trays). Add to porridge / cereal or anything else you can think of.

Also pear and cucumber help, but prunes are the best, my dd had 2 cubes a day for a year (she loved the taste too)

lovelysongbird Sun 13-Jul-08 18:16:07

oh thanks for all the advice, she is not normally constipated we have just come back from a holiday, she quite a lot better today, great idea about the cycling.
shes not been sleeping so well so i think it may also be part of the reason.

shes having a bath tonight aswell
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now