Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My mum is Diabetic (sp?) type 2 and doesn't control it at all, can anyone tell me what we should do?

(35 Posts)
SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:12:07

My mum was dxd about 3 years ago with type 2, and she is completely useless at controlling it. She has tablets which she thinks make the diabetes go away.
Last week she was on holiday with Lisad123 and she woke up feeling rough. Lisad123 made her check her blood sugar levels and they were 13!! SHe said that she had only just taken her tablet and when she checked a few hours later they were 8. 13 was her fasting level too. She eats chocolate, white bread, take aways, and then wonders why her blood sugars are so high.
Myself, Misdee and Lisad are at a loss of what to do. She is overweight, doesn't excerise and doesn't control her diabetes at all. My FIL lost his toes because he didn't control his, someone in Lisad's class at school died recently because of diabetes.
We are very worried..

Ready4anotherCoffee Sat 12-Jul-08 22:22:18

ultimatly it is up to her. I know it is absolutly fustrating and infuriating, my mother is type 1 and all through my childhood her levels were up and down. along with all the accompanying chaos

It is harder for her in a way as she will have to undergo a complete lifestyle change, most supermarket preprepares stuff is high in carbs and fat, so she will need to get used to doing a lot more home cooking.

there are recipe books out there and guides to help people in your mums position to accept and implement the changes required. Off the top of my head she needs to look at how slow burning the carbs are, ie GI index. Are you able to take her along to see the diabetic nurse, and ask her to help explain? sometimes info is a lot more palatable coming from someone in a uniform

sorry I can't be of more help.

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:25:44

She doesn't even test her blood sugars every day. I had gestational Diabetes and I admit I struggled with my blood sugar levels at first, but I did get them perfect after a week or so. I have told her things she can eat. She thinks that taking the skin of the chicken from KFC makes it ok to eat [head banging on wall here]

stitch Sat 12-Jul-08 22:27:53

its up to her.
she is an adult, so you cant treat her the way you would a child. all you can do is present her with theinformation, and just support her. for example you cant make her stop eating chocolate, but you could ensure that everyone knows not to buy her any. flowers instead for example.

emma1977 Sat 12-Jul-08 22:28:02

Some people unfortunately chose to live in denial that they have a condition and there's not a lot you or anyone else can do to shock them out of it.

If she were amenable, I'd agree that her practic nurse or diabetic nurse should be a first port of call for info.

Diabetes UK have lots of helpful advice and info. Their website is here

stitch Sat 12-Jul-08 22:28:38

if sh eis overweight, she could try the atkins diet. it is excellent for diabetics.

misdee Sat 12-Jul-08 22:28:45

i think she was diagnosed over 4years ago sparkly, as i was pregnant with dd3 after she was dx, thats why i had a GTT done.

mum was on slimming world diet with me, but didnt really do it properly and lost 8lb in 4months. i admit i have slipped back to old ways but am pregnant, but still avoiding sugar as much as possible.

she has also been put on zenical, but doesnt take that properly either.

Purplepillow Sat 12-Jul-08 22:29:46

Also at your(or mums) surgery there should be a dietician who can explain things to her better.

If she does not learn to control it better she may become insulin dependant.

My dm is type 2 and has given me a few scares, low blood sugars where even the Dr thought she had taken a stroke but thankfully hadn't.

My dm has a normal diet but just never over indulges(sp) It's like the old saying "everything in moderation"

Good luck and if nothing else helps talk to your GP.

emma1977 Sat 12-Jul-08 22:30:21

Type 2 diabetics are not actively encouraged to check their blood sugars daily any more, as there is evidence to suggest that it doesn't improve control and can have a negative influence on their mood.

Purplepillow Sat 12-Jul-08 22:32:43

That is true as they can also check the levels in their urine, but blood tests are still used by DRs to get a more acurate reading.

emma1977 Sat 12-Jul-08 22:33:10

I would be really wary about advocating the Adkins diet for a diabetic as they do need some carbohydrate in their diet and inducing a state of ketosis can actually be dangerous in some people. The low GI diet is much more sensible.

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:34:20

I said to her last year (when I was pregnant on holiday with them, one morning, I checked mine and they were 5, she did hers and they were 12) that she needs to go back to the GP and get a list of foods that are ok, but she hasn't yet.
She also says that anything below 8 makes her feel sick..

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jul-08 22:36:01

How frustrating for you all!

My FIL is now on injectible insulin for Type 2 diabetes, but he was able to manage on tablets for about 15 years because he made some real lifestyle changes to help him along and monitored his blood sugar regularly.

He also has hypertension, which can happen in some diabetics, too.

I hope someone can convince her to see the diabetes clinic or diabetes nurse about some dietary advice.

I also hope she doesn't smoke.

My FIL smoked from the ages of 14-29, and although he'd quit years before being diagnosed, he will always wonder if the years he spent smoking didn't contribute to it, given that he had a strong family history of type 2 diabetes in the first place.

He also finds that alcohol messes with his blood sugar, particulary beer or wine.

stitch Sat 12-Jul-08 22:36:29

not the induction. the econd and third phases of th eatkins, as you have reduced carbs.
so cutting out thing like bread, pasta and rice, ensuring she gets lots of good carbs from fruit and veg is what iam suggesting. it is a way of eating that makes controlling type 2 diabetes easier.
but if she doesnt want to do it, she wont. without the will to do something, it wont happen

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:37:43

Because her blood sugar levels are always so high, she feels sick and faint at anything below 8. I had a hypo when pregnant and my levels were 2, I have never felt so yuck.. But surely she shouldn't feel that bad at 7, unless her body is used to it, maybe??

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:38:20

she doesn't smoke or drink (she is a JW)

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:39:25

just over indulges on food..

emma1977 Sat 12-Jul-08 22:40:39

The concept of a diabetic diet is outdated and there is no such thing as off-limits foods. A diabetic diet should be a healthy diet- low fat, low sugar, high fibre, lots of fruit and veg. She should also be aiming to do some exercise and get her BMI down to normal.

Your mum is probably correct in saying that she feels crap if her sugars are below 8. Because her body has adjusted to running constantly high sugars, 8 is actually relatively low for her and she wold start to get hypo symptoms. However, it would readjust back to normal limits if she brought her sugars down slowly.

Sorry, I could bore for England about diabetes- I have a family full. I also have experience of the 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink' phenomenon with stubborn diabetics, e.g. my dad.

misdee Sat 12-Jul-08 22:41:35

i hate saying this, she is my mum and ai love her, but i think she needs a good shake up.

she doesnt pay attention to what people say about it. she has been told by the clinic that she needs to do x,y,z but doesnt do it.

she needs to lose weight, but never does. or gives up after a while.

she needs support, but isnt getting it.

and am getting fed up of seeming always to be 'nagging' her.

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:44:31

thanks emma, you are not boring me
She is about 15 stones and only 5ft tall. She can't walk very fast at all, so never breaks a sweat, and gets no exercise. I am scared she will have a stroke or something..

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jul-08 22:45:10

I so wish I could get DH to stop smoking.sad

Both FIL and MIL have type 2 diabetes. MIL still manages on tablets, but FIL is on injectibles and his elder sister is in renal failure despite all her efforts (she was never a smoker or drinker or an unhealthy weight)and now only partially sighted.

FIL has had dogs since he was diagnosed because then he is forced to exercise. It's a strategy that worked well for him - he walks at least 3 miles/day and usually 5.

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:45:50

I 'nag' her every time I see her blush

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jul-08 22:47:19

It's no fun going on injectibles, either, Sparkly.

Want FIL to have a chat with her?

He spent many hours in the diabetes clinic at the Western General Hospital getting that sorted out.

SparklyGothKat Sat 12-Jul-08 22:48:17

Last time I spoe to her about what bread, pasta, etc she could and couldn't eat, she just turned round and said 'well I might as be dead, if I can't eat X,Y,Z'

misdee Sat 12-Jul-08 22:51:09

oh yes, i have had the 'well i cant eat anythign then can i, i might as well starve' line from her as well.

i pointed out there was laods of stuff she could eat, but in one ear, out the other.

dad doesnt get it either though.

[sighs]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now