Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a wart treated? What do they do? For dd1 who's a bit worried...

(21 Posts)
Orinoco Sat 12-Jul-08 20:55:54

Message withdrawn

divastrop Sat 12-Jul-08 21:00:52

i had two warts frozen when i was about 10/11.they used liquid nitrogen(?)and it hurt quite alot,then after a few days big blood blisters formed around them and they hurt too.

the warts remainedhmm

then my mum read that dandelion sap was good for getting rid of warts,so i put some on them every day and within a month they were gone,as was the verucca on my foot and i hadnt even put any on that!

StressTeddy Sat 12-Jul-08 21:01:12

Ok - I had these done when I was about 12 so a very long time ago

It may have changed but here goes....

It's frozen off with a blast of icey stuff. This feels ok at first then after a few hours it starts to burn then it turns into a blister and then it should fall off
For some of my warts this took once for others I had to have it done 3 or 4 times. There was one that needed doing again and I just couldn't face it

I really do think it was totally worth it but not a barrel of laughs

Hope she is ok and that the treatment goes well

You may not wish to tell her everything I have told you smile

avenanap Sat 12-Jul-08 21:04:16

You can get wart treatment over the counter (wartner), which doesn't hurt. I used this for ds (he was 7), the wart just fell off, leaving perfect skin underneath. I would try the cream before using the frozen stuff.

FrannyandZooey Sat 12-Jul-08 21:04:40

I have only had one done but it was really ok
it just hurt / felt very cold for a few seconds and then that was it really
I am not brave with pain but it honestly was bearable

Washersaurus Sat 12-Jul-08 21:05:22

I had one frozen off when I was around 12 too. It hurt like hell, but my dad took me to MacDonald's straight afterwards and that cheered me up a bit. It did get rid of my wart but I have no idea when it went after the treatment.

StressTeddy Sat 12-Jul-08 21:06:20

warts are like veruccas - rub a raddish on it for a month and it will fall off

Truely

Orinoco Sat 12-Jul-08 21:07:58

Message withdrawn

StressTeddy Sat 12-Jul-08 21:09:24

A raddish will work by September smile

avenanap Sat 12-Jul-08 21:10:06

It took a few weeks but it was painless. I would try this first, if it's still there in a month/6 weeks then try the freezing. smile

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 21:11:14

oooh, going to try that Stressteddy

a fresh one each day? cut open? expand the theory please...

dd is six and has loads of them, dr said to leave them as they will go soon anyway and there are too many to treat

thirtysomething Sat 12-Jul-08 21:11:29

My DS had one burnt off last year - couldn't freeze it for some reason, which I forget. He was 9 at the time and pretty nervous but he's not good with needles etc so was bound to be....in the end they numbed the area with anaesthetic gel, then injected a local anaesthetic (which was the most painful part but over very quickly and bearable), then the actual burning bit didn't seem to hurt. It looked odd as skin went black (!) but healed up incredibly quickly. All in all was ok and he was very pleased afterwards to get rid of it. Was done by dermatologist at a hospital but not at first consultation as had to book pediatric nurse etc.

avenanap Sat 12-Jul-08 21:12:36

Twas bazooka not wartner. Worked a treat. I freaked out when the wart fell off because I was expecting blood and lots of it but there was nothing, just healthy skin. There was no scar, no peeling skin.

emma1977 Sat 12-Jul-08 21:13:03

7 is probably too young for freezing a wart because it is just too painful for them to stay still enough. Dermatologists are not sadists!

They will probably suggest an alternative topical treatment first.

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 21:13:08

is that OK for little kids, Bazooka?

Orinoco Sat 12-Jul-08 21:14:10

Message withdrawn

avenanap Sat 12-Jul-08 21:14:33

yes, ds was given it on prescription but we lost the box blush. I got him some more over the counter.

StressTeddy Sat 12-Jul-08 21:15:11

Ok - just slice off a piece of radish and rub on the affected area for about a minute each day

I had a verucca that I had treated for about 4 months - nothing would get rid of it - they tried everything. Ulcerated it even - bloody hell

Then my Mum told me about the wonder that is the radish and one month later it was gone

Give it a go - they aren't expensive and what have you got to lose??

I know that warts and veruccas are related so I think it will work

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 21:17:01

right, will try and report back. thanks

donnie Sat 12-Jul-08 21:19:59

am going to try the radish thing on dd1 - thanks for that stressteddy!

StressTeddy Sat 12-Jul-08 21:23:58

grin
Enjoy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now