Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I ask for referral to dermatologist? How long could it take?

(7 Posts)
naturelover Sat 12-Jul-08 17:23:32

DD is 10 months old, and has had small patch of rough dry skin on her chin for ages. We assumed drool rash from the endless teething and ignored it. There was also a small patch on her back, we figured it was from friction against buggy (gap between her top and trousers). But after a while (weeks) I asked GP about it. He said it was fungal and prescribed antifungal cream. Within two days it was much worse.

We stopped the cream after two days. Second GP said it was bacterial, and gave us antibiotic cream, after two days the rash was worse - again - and had spread.

Third GP said it was simply dry skin, said stop using soap, use Oily Cream, don't worry (insinuated we were being very PFB).

Now, after 3 days using the Oily Cream, it seems no better, plus DD has started scratching it and has made it bleed a few times. It looks worse than ever.

We are pretty worried that we've made it worse by using this cocktail of chemicals and we feel terrible. The rash now covers half her back, and her chin, neck and top of her chest.

We don't know how to proceed. Would it take months to see a dermatologist? If you've had a similar experience please can you share and put my mind at rest! Thanks.

misdee Sat 12-Jul-08 17:26:05

can u post a pic?

sounds like it could be eczema to me.

naturelover Sat 12-Jul-08 17:27:54

How do I post a pic?

Dr said probably not eczema because not in folds of arms or behind knees. But the third GP said it could be "baby eczema", whatever that is. Do you know?

misdee Sat 12-Jul-08 17:32:32

bah @ doctor saying not in creases say cant be eczema.

i am not a doctor but am a mum of 3 girls who all have eczema.

dd1 suffers the most. her skin has sandpapery feel to it all over, very rough. it5 didnt affect her folds of skin till she was much older. dd2 gets it on her arm creases. dd3 gets it on her hands and legs.

what is the oily cream? never heard of it by that name.

a good cream to try is aveeno. its available over the counter and on perscription. apply it several times a day. for baths, put some oats in a muslin cloth and secure it into a pouch with an elastic band. put it in the water and squeeze so tha bath water goes all milky. you can also use the cloth to put the ooze over your dd skin directly.

gagarin Sat 12-Jul-08 17:36:23

I doubt if anything you have done has made it worse - so don't fret.

Do you think it could be this?

"*Childhood seborrhoeic eczema* is usually seen in infants under the age of one, seborrhoeic eczema can appear quite suddenly between two and six months after birth. Often the nappy area is affected first, however, it tends to spread fairly rapidly so that the scalp, face, neck, armpits and sometimes even the trunk are soon affected – this may seem rather alarming but don’t worry, it will soon improve!
In the nappy area, the skin looks red, inflamed and flaky – the surface may also feel bumpy due to tiny blisters. The skin scales in this area are small and white, and tend to rub off easily making the skin look shiny. Sometimes it spreads up the body and down the legs, when small round or oval patches are seen, which later join together to form larger red areas.

On the scalp, the scales are larger, greasy and yellowish – they tend to stick to the head making it look crusted. The forehead, temples, eyebrows, back of neck, behind the ears and folds at the sides of the nose are often also affected.

Childhood seborrhoeic eczema is not usually itchy, sore or uncomfortable, so your baby should feed, play and sleep as usual, and hopefully be undisturbed by it"

and this is the suggested treatment...

"Unfortunately, there is no cure for infantile seborrhoeic eczema, but it *usually clears up on its own within a few months*. However, you may want to try some of the following suggestions to help maintain the skin:

Body:
Emollient bath oil can be added to the baby’s bath to help loosen scales, moisturise the skin and help prevent further skin flaking and infection. Some emollient bath oils are available from your GP; others can be bought over the counter with help from your pharmacist. But take care, emollient bath oils make the bath and baby very slippery!

An emollient soap substitute and an emollient cream can be helpful to further moisturise and soothe the skin.

An antifungal cream can help keep the seborrhoeic eczema under control and if the skin looks sore your doctor may also prescribe a mild topical steroid ointment or cream such as hydrocortisone to reduce inflammation. However, treatment depends on which part of the body is affected.

Scalp:
If it is thickly scaled warmed olive oil massaged into the scalp and left for one hour will loosen the scales. Gentle washing with a mild shampoo will then help to remove the scales.

Nappy area:
Keep this area clean and dry to prevent infection. Check nappies frequently, perhaps every hour, and change them as soon as they become wet or soiled. At nappy change, apply an emollient to help protect the skin. The nappy area can be cleaned using a soap substitute such as aqueous cream with warm water. If possible avoid plastic pants as these can make seborrhoeic eczema in the nappy area worse. It helps to remove your baby’s nappy for periods of time whenever you can to enable air to get to the affected area."

The info is from the National Eczema Society

www.eczema.org/seborrhoeic_eczema.html

littlepinkpixie Sat 12-Jul-08 18:02:31

Maybe go back to a GP and show them the rash as it is now, or your HV if they are any good.
Dermatology can take anywhere between months to hours, depending on urgency of situation. I think they often try to see small children fairly promptly.

emma1977 Sat 12-Jul-08 18:17:15

Sounds like seb eczema to me too (GP).

A dermatology referral will take up to 13 weeks for your dc to be seen as it is non-urgent, unless you pay privately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now